Poll: What should superPlacement be renamed to?

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!

What should superPlacement be renamed to?

Relative Placement
53%
Placement Offset
20%
Placement Override
20%
Something else (please specify)
7%

Total votes: 15
cox

Re: Poll: What should superPlacement be renamed to?

Post by cox »

How about "Attachment offset" or "Attachment orientation" or something similar?
Need help? Feel free to ask, but please read the guidelines first
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I fond out that there is something complicating the matter: For the first time I have made a PDN part with several bodies. I was glad to see that I can use the bodies different Placements to move the objects relative to each other. And I can use the part's placement to move all bodies together around.
So we have
Part Placement -> Body Placement -> Sketch SuperPlacement.

Why not call the SuperPlacement just Placement? At least from a user's point of view I would be happy with that.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

What about Attachment-Relative Placement?
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
peterl94
Veteran

Post by peterl94 »

kkremitzki wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:54 pm What about Attachment-Relative Placement?
Imagine what that would look like in the property editor. ;)
chrisb wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:08 pm Why not call the SuperPlacement just Placement?
The technical reason is because the name you see is created from the name in code and obviously you can't have two variables with the same name in the same object. Plus, if you attach the sketch using the "translate" mode, you can use the regular Placement property.
cox wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:02 pmAttachment offset
Jim also suggested that. Sounds pretty good to me.
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

peterl94 wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 12:18 am
kkremitzki wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:54 pm What about Attachment-Relative Placement?
Imagine what that would look like in the property editor. ;)
I opened my FreeCAD 0.17 to have a look. I created a Body, then the default Cube (which somehow has regressed back to the old name "Box"), and created Sketch on the top face.

When Sketch is selected I can change only its Super Placement (Placement is greyed out) and in doing so, Sketch does move off the top face of Box and Box does not move. In the mage below, Sketch is 5 mm above the top face of Box.

I can change the Super Placement of Box (there is no Placement) only once and Box moves while Sketch does not move. After that one time change of Super Placement, Super Placement becomes greyed out.

Body only has the Placement property, and changing it also caused Box and Sketch to move along with Body.

20170919a.png
20170919a.png (40.82 KiB) Viewed 1870 times

1. After looking at Sketch, which has the Data tab > Attachment > Super Placement property, I think that simply "Offset" would be more understandable than "Super Placement" in the Property column. And because it is in the Attachment property section it is the "attachment offset".

2. "Override Placement" would also work ("Override" is a noun when we "use the override"), but I like "Offset" better.

3. Or name it something like "PIB" so everyone has to look up and learn the meaning ("Placement in Body") - like the situation for BOPCheck - instead of guessing at the meaning?

Word size of OS: 32-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 32-bit
Version: 0.17.12140 (Git)
Build type: None
Branch: master
Hash: 6ed14ed76a03d5040f3192a5f529a37d48dd0ce8
Python version: 2.7.12
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.1.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

I still think it's confusing to talk about rotational offset. I am not a native English speaker, but I've never seen the word offset used in such manner. It's always been a linear or planar distance.

I looked for definitions of the term, the first one on Wiktionary is interesting:
Anything that acts as counterbalance; a compensating equivalent.
Attachment Compensation?

I know, I'm just muddling the water further. :D

The poll should offer to vote for a second choice. I think in the end I'd prefer relative to offset.
peterl94
Veteran

Post by peterl94 »

As chrisb has said, we are not going to find the perfect term that everyone agrees with.

Anyway, I realized we can't just depend on the context of the property editor. The API also has to make sense. App.ActiveDocument.Sketch.Offset would be too ambiguous.
peterl94
Veteran

Post by peterl94 »

NormandC wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:50 am The poll should offer to vote for a second choice.
That can't be done with a phpBB poll, can it?
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

No, it can't. It would be useful though.
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

Maybe "Secondary placement"?