Improvement of rectangular selection

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
SparkyCola

Re: Improvement of rectangular selection

Post by SparkyCola »

GeneFC wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 3:32 pm
SparkyCola wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:24 pm I can't get Sketcher to select the whole line/circle/element when I only box a part of it, no matter from where I start the selection. That is what I was looking for.
That sort of behavior is a choice made by the program designers. I have some graphics-related programs that work on the "touch" method and other that require the entire object to be selected.

There are pluses and minuses to both approaches. The "touch" method sounds easy, but it also makes it very easy to select unwanted elements that may have portions close to the desired selection. The "entire" method is generally more definite for selection, but it is slightly more work.

I don't see an obvious advantage for one method over the other.

Just learn the "rules" and go forward.

Gene
Well there is no advantage in having one of them, and changing the existing one is not a good idea. However if you have both you have the benefits of both and only the disadvantages of the one you're currently using.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

SparkyCola wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:24 pm
wmayer wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:16 am This is already implemented with the difference that it's not top <=> bottom/bottom <=> top but left <=> right/right <=> left.
I can't get Sketcher to select the whole line/circle/element when I only box a part of it, no matter from where I start the selection. That is what I was looking for.
I believe wmayer was talking about box selection in the general GUI of FreeCAD. I think the Sketcher edit mode uses separate code for box selection.

This would be a valid enhancement request to post on the tracker, but please remember to define Sketcher as a project.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

peterl94 wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:08 pm
chrisb wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:24 am How do you perform this selection anyway?
Shift + B starts the box select command (edit menu).
Thank you.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
SparkyCola

Post by SparkyCola »

I did the implementation, it's going to be in the sources as soon as my pull request get's accepted, for now it's only in my fork.
So far it works perfectly for lines, has some limitations for touch-detection of circle, ellipse and all kinds arcs (it might not detect some small touches) , spline-touch detection is also kinda there but works only when one point is touched (it does not recognize touches on the actual curve). I hope it fulfils your expectations, if not let me know, maybe I can do something about that.