connecting freecad and inkscape/gimp

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: connecting freecad and inkscape/gimp

Post by Kunda1 »

Tracking this thread via issue #3304
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
regis

Post by regis »

Kunda1 wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:39 pm Nicely done. Would it be possible to open a dedicated widget inside FC so there is no need run inkscape, AKA can it run headless inside of FC ?
If there is a possibility here, even to open it inside techdraw?? actually what if inskcape is inside freecad as a workbench?
dcapeletti

Post by dcapeletti »

I love this. Now I begin to see the potential of combining these tools. Unimaginable potential. Excellent work. :)
PlaneAnimal

Post by PlaneAnimal »

Very nice
microelly2
Veteran

Post by microelly2 »

regis wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:50 am
Kunda1 wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:39 pm Nicely done. Would it be possible to open a dedicated widget inside FC so there is no need run inkscape, AKA can it run headless inside of FC ?
If there is a possibility here, even to open it inside techdraw?? actually what if inskcape is inside freecad as a workbench?
My idea was to install a server inside inkscape which sends on changes the data to freecad.
I made some experiments which often crashed inkscap. I stopped work because I had not enought time to debug and other priority tasks.
But I think this is the right way: a communication between programs using sockets
or something similar for example FreeCAD as Webbrowser can process the messages.
The main task is to install one communication end inside inkscape/gimp. This is to learn programming inkscape/gimp.
regis

Post by regis »

microelly2 wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:45 pm
regis wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:50 am
My idea was to install a server inside inkscape which sends on changes the data to freecad.
I made some experiments which often crashed inkscap. I stopped work because I had not enought time to debug and other priority tasks.
But I think this is the right way: a communication between programs using sockets
or something similar for example FreeCAD as Webbrowser can process the messages.
The main task is to install one communication end inside inkscape/gimp. This is to learn programming inkscape/gimp.
I definitely think there is potential here if freecad has a good integration with Inkscape. Potential is huge and limitless.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

regis wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:01 am I definitely think there is potential here if freecad has a good integration with Inkscape. Potential is huge and limitless.
Lets try to get inkscape devs to be interested in this. They recently published lib2geom and they also are working on a better 'headless' inkscape.
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
microelly2
Veteran

Post by microelly2 »

I will restart my work on a inkscape FreeCAD commnication by a inkscape plugin which uses the web-interface of FreeCAD to run actions inside FreeCAD triggered by Inkscape object changes.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

microelly2 wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:12 pm I will restart my work on a inkscape FreeCAD commnication by a inkscape plugin which uses the web-interface of FreeCAD to run actions inside FreeCAD triggered by Inkscape object changes.
:thumbsup:
regis

Post by regis »

Kunda1 wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:50 pm Lets try to get inkscape devs to be interested in this. They recently published lib2geom and they also are working on a better 'headless' inkscape.
Yeah so how does one go about interacting with the Inskape folks so that they program something which has a better integration with freecad. It wld be interesting if they would be interested in collaborating with freecad for certain features we might need.