[proposal] Add option to disable turntable rotation constraint

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Eneen

[proposal] Add option to disable turntable rotation constraint

Post by Eneen »

Turntable horizontal and vertical rotation constraint is really nifty feature, but it would be nice to be able to turn it off - muscle memory when going back and forth to blender adopts really long. Simple tickbox "Enable turntable constraints" below "Zoom at cursor" and "invert zoom" would make it perfect.
To sum up:
- rotation constraints is great feature for people working only in FreeCAD
- disable option would be nice for people coming from other software or using other software too.

Tracker ticket:
https://freecadweb.org/tracker/view.php?id=3219#c10347
Last edited by Eneen on Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
wmayer
Founder

Re: [proposal] Add option to disable turntable rotation constraint

Post by wmayer »

Turntable horizontal and vertical rotation constraint is really nifty feature, but it would be nice to be able to turn it off
Why don't you simply switch to orbit style Trackball which anyway is the default?
Eneen

Post by Eneen »

Because trackball rotates Z axis and turntable doesn't. I mainly work on arch projects and keeping ground plane horizontal is essential.
Eneen

Post by Eneen »

Moreover, take a look @screencasts. Constraints in FreeCAD causes "rotation weirdness" when moving cursor diagonal. Screencast from Blender to compare. It can be somehow compared to mouse sensor angle snapping: you move mouse and it "corrects" your movement.
Maybe vertical axis constraint only could be removed? I'm not sure how it works...
Attachments
freecad_turntable_constraints.gif
freecad_turntable_constraints.gif (236.52 KiB) Viewed 2362 times
blender_turntable_mode.gif
blender_turntable_mode.gif (321.45 KiB) Viewed 2362 times
febis

Post by febis »

Bumping this since it's still relevant and I find the current "turntable" behaviour very irritating.

There seems to be a restriction that locks movement of the mouse to the X or Y axis, so you can't move diagonally. It feels weird and I see no benefit at all. Can this be changed to behave like in Blender or basically any other 3D software?
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

febis wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:59 am Bumping this since it's still relevant and I find the current "turntable" behaviour very irritating.
Try the different modes of orbit and mouse model. Find a combination you like.

My default works *exactly* like the Blender image above. I use "Gesture" and "Trackball".

Gene
febis

Post by febis »

GeneFC wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 4:21 pm Try the different modes of orbit and mouse model. Find a combination you like.
My default works *exactly* like the Blender image above. I use "Gesture" and "Trackball".
Using "Gesture" doesn't help.
The options under "3D navigation" where you can pick things like "Gesture" or "Blender" only affect which keys you need to press. It doesn't change anything about how the model rotates. Maybe you didn't understand what the issue is? The original poster made some screen recordings to document it.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

febis wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:25 pm Maybe you didn't understand what the issue is?
I understand the issue perfectly. YOU may not understand how to change the behavior. It is controlled by a preference as shown in the attached image.

Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (30.11 KiB) Viewed 1725 times

As I said before, the result is exactly the same as the Blender image shown 4 years ago.

Gene
febis

Post by febis »

:roll:

Look, my settings:

And an object in the viewport while those settings are active:

Notice how the Z-axis is tilted sideways? This is exactly what I want to avoid. So I choose "Turntable". With turntable the Z-axis always stays vertical.
But back to the real issue: turntable rotation is weird (see description and screencapture above).

If you like your settings - cool. Just please don't make this thread hard to understand for others by stating that everyting is fine as it is and referring to settings which don't solve the issue.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

I guess we will just have to disagree. The so-called Blender model shown above certainly does not keep the z-axis vertical. As I said several times I can exactly duplicate the motion shown above.

If you are looking at something else, have at it.

Gene