Document animation : Performance issue

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
NormandC
Veteran

Re: Document animation : Performance issue

Post by NormandC »

plgarcia wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:12 am I also think that an abstraction layer to the underlying 3D Engine OpenCascade should be introduced to be able to:
FreeCAD does not use OCC's "3D Engine", that's gaming speak. In CAD it's called a geometric modeling kernel, or sometimes CAD kernel.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geometric_modeling_kernel

plgarcia wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:12 am - eventually replace OpenCascade by other 3D engine bringing better performances and having less glitches
There is no other open source kernel available than OCC. CGAL doesn't count, it's a library of algorithms mainly for mathematical purposes, not a true CAD kernel. What would be the point of this work then, to plan for a hypothetical new open source kernel that may never come? FreeCAD remains a project supported by an extremely small group of dedicated frequent volunteers, surrounded by a larger group of occasional volunteers. This would be a gigantic work even for a company with full-time paid programmers. IMO what you are suggesting is unrealistic.
plgarcia

Post by plgarcia »

I agree 3D Engine was not the accurate word.

Nevertheless it does not change my view on the need of optimization, restructuring etc.

It is your baby and I am probably not the one to tell you how to grow it, grow it as you want! Sorry for that.

Forget then my thoughts. The problem brought here is a matter of performances. What is your proposal? What can be done to improve performances?

End of the discussion as far as I am concerned!

Regards
Pascal Garcia
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

plgarcia wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:13 pm It is your baby
It's not. I'm pointing out that wishful thinking is pointless.