Roadmap toward 0.17 Release

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
blacey

Re: Roadmap toward 0.17 Release

Post by blacey »

So what is the timeframe for 0.17? The impetus is that we have a bit of a backlog on macOS because the Homebrew package management team recently deprecated the entire science port repo that provided many dependencies that we need (e.g. opencascade, matplotlib, med-file, orocos-kdl, etc.). We need to know the target date for planning purposes however 0.17 on macOS will use:
  • opencascade 7.2 & netgen nglib 5.3.1 w/OCCT 7.2 patches
  • Qt 5.10/pyside 2
  • Python 2.7
I have ported the deprecated opencascade 7.1 from homebrew-science to homebrew-core and updated the formula to 7.2. @peterl94 is working nglib compatibility with OCCT 7.2 and also upgrading the macOS Qt5.6/pyside2 stack to Qt 5.10. I am going to work orocos-kdl and other homebrew-science deprecated dependencies (hopefully with some help from @ianreese)

All of the required work is being tracked in this https://github.com/FreeCAD/homebrew-freecad/projects/1? GitHub project (note, this has nothing to do with FreeCAD source code, this is only about port dependency support on macOS so we are using a light-weight GitHub project in the homebrew-freecad repo instead of Mantis - hope that is OK). There is more work here than what @peterl94, @ianreese and I can handle right now, due to other commitments, so we are looking for macOS volunteers. Anyone who wants to jump in should claim the "help wanted" Github issues in the aforementioned projects.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

blacey wrote: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:39 pm So what is the timeframe for 0.17?
Don't you know the FreeCAD motto? It's done when it's done. ;)

We are well past the timeframe.

The blocker is PartDesignNext. There are many bugs to fix, most of all an issue that affects its interoperability with other workbenches, but ickby hasn't had any time to dedicate to FreeCAD for the past 3 months.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Well, I guess you've seen the other topic by now but in any case: Release of v0.17
blacey

Post by blacey »

NormandC wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:14 pm Well, I guess you've seen the other topic by now but in any case: Release of v0.17
Yes, I saw it yesterday but good to have the link here for other too.