In memoriam: Roland Frank (r-frank) 1970-2017

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
thschrader
Veteran

Re: In memoriam: Roland Frank (r-frank) 1970-2017

Post by thschrader »

sawozny wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 4:25 pm
chrisb wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:36 pm I have repeatedly deleted spam from this topic. It's absolutely tasteless. Would have liked to use one, but none of the existing emojis can reflect this.
Pinned to the top, it's going to, unfortunately, be a target for spammers (for whom I hope there is a special place in hell). Thank you for what you do to keep this place for us to remember Roland beautiful. I think I speak for all of us when I say we appreciate your efforts. :)
It is!
at chrisb: Don't get discouraged
geit_de

Post by geit_de »

I just learned about him today.

Our way crossed before as he showed me how to use FreeCAD in his videos.

Very sad.
onesz

Post by onesz »

Respect what he did in life, mostly stays forever...
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Roland died one year ago. His great tutorials are still helping to learn FreeCAD, even if they use the version which was named after him, FreeCAD 0.17 Roland.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
erturne

Post by erturne »

Hello, I am brand new to FreeCAD and am finding Roland's tutorial videos extremely helpful. I was saddened to learn that he had passed away.

Regarding efforts to prevent the loss of his videos, I have archived a copy of them on my own NAS which I make regular offsite backups of. If YouTube ever removes his videos, please contact me and I will work with the community to figure out what we should do with them.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

erturne wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 1:15 am ... I will work with the community to figure out what we should do with them.
Unfortunately, Roland's videos are made with v0.16 and older.

FreeCAD received important updates in v0.17 so a lot of his work is now obsolete. This doesn't mean the videos are completely useless, but new users really need to work with newer versions, post v0.16, in order to understand the current workflow. New users using Roland's videos often get confused because the interface and tools no longer match (this is not speculation, we have seen this in the forum).

So, my personal advice is to not worry too much about preserving Roland's videos. Instead, learn from him, and create new videos with a modern version of FreeCAD, say, v0.19. Try recreating the same model that Roland made, but with a v0.19 workflow; in my opinion, this would be more helpful than just storing the older videos as if they were FreeCAD's ultimate treasure.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
Kerem Hazar

Post by Kerem Hazar »

I usually don't register to comment or anything like that but I felt responsible because I learned a lot of things from Ronald. I was actually wondering that why he quit youtube. At the last video I saw comments saying RIP and I felt like someone I personally met was dead. I didn't know him personally but even from a computer screen he was a great teacher. Rest in peace.
M4x
Veteran

Post by M4x »

vocx wrote: Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:39 am So, my personal advice is to not worry too much about preserving Roland's videos. Instead, learn from him, and create new videos with a modern version of FreeCAD, say, v0.19. Try recreating the same model that Roland made, but with a v0.19 workflow; in my opinion, this would be more helpful than just storing the older videos as if they were FreeCAD's ultimate treasure.
Here's one example from flowwie: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcEZt_m27AM. I've used this part from Frank myself the first time I've introduced people into FreeCAD for the first time.
Last edited by jmaustpc on Mon Aug 16, 2021 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: repaired "quote" taggs such that quote renderes correctly