In memoriam: Roland Frank (r-frank) 1970-2017

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
NormandC
Veteran

Re: In memoriam: Roland Frank (r-frank) 1970-2017

Post by NormandC »

@ThomasS

IN ENGLISH PLEASE.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Usually I am advocating english language in english forums, but in case of this special topic we should consider to be a bit more generous. The topic is pinned in the foreign language forums, so people going there might well assume that it belongs there. Furthermore the posts here are in honour of Roland and we might accept that everyone wants to express his thoughts and feelings in his own language.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
ThomasS

Post by ThomasS »

@NormandC
no problem. I thought I write it in the German forum.

I was shocked and very sad when I heard of his death just today.
He was a perfect "teacher" for me. Only by his pleasant nature in his very good video tutorials, which were always deliberate, I could use the software for my humble applications.

For his great helpfulness, which allowed everyone to use FreeCAD successfully, I would like to thank him very much. Every time I use FreeCAD I will think of him.

Thomas
kaktuspapa

Post by kaktuspapa »

I did not know Roland personally, but only his videos on Youtube. And they brought me to freecad and it enabled me pretty fast
His way of making the videos, and the lyrics he's spoken to, always conveyed the feeling of being a friend just helps you.
Also the posts here in the forum, which one finds in the search for certain problems, were never "from above".

Thank you Roland for your videos and the help you gave me, even if we do not edge at all.

My concern is with his family and friends.

Karsten
kaktuspapa

translatet with google translator
shivaksingh

Post by shivaksingh »

I just started watching his posts on YouTube his work is simple yet expressive and that's some thing very hard to achieve as far as I'm concerned.

Rest in peace Roland Sir.
sawozny

Post by sawozny »

I don’t follow the forums as closely as I ought to and so when I saw FreeCAD doing a big package install this afternoon, I wondered if it was the long awaited 0.17 update. After I saw the new icons I went to Help -> About nervously optimistic about what I’d find and was thrilled to see 0.17 in the main release branch. My elation was brief as I was crushed to read the top of the Credits tab and find out Roland has left us. I, like many of the posters on this thread, never interacted with him directly but his video tutorials quite literally changed my life. Roland represents the best of open-source technology. His work made software that has enormous complexity simple to understand and use with his easy to follow tutorials whose simplicity belied their tremendous utility. I quit my day job to pursue a crazy dream which I couldn’t do without FreeCAD and I’m convinced I could never have learned FreeCAD without Roland. As I sit here typing this through tears, I’m reminded how we’re all on this human journey together, how profoundly lucky I was to cross his path and how deeply saddened I am that it will never happen again.

Scott
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Thank you Thomas.

Thanks Scott for sharing your thoughts, they as well as many others prove that Roland was a very special person.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I have repeatedly deleted spam from this topic. It's absolutely tasteless. Would have liked to use one, but none of the existing emojis can reflect this.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
maxagaz

Post by maxagaz »

I discovered and learned FreeCAD with Roland.
Requiescat in pace
sawozny

Post by sawozny »

chrisb wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 4:36 pm I have repeatedly deleted spam from this topic. It's absolutely tasteless. Would have liked to use one, but none of the existing emojis can reflect this.
Pinned to the top, it's going to, unfortunately, be a target for spammers (for whom I hope there is a special place in hell). Thank you for what you do to keep this place for us to remember Roland beautiful. I think I speak for all of us when I say we appreciate your efforts. :)