FreeCAD Ubuntu 9.10 Graphics Problem

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
NickB

FreeCAD Ubuntu 9.10 Graphics Problem

Post by NickB »

Hi, I have to admit that I'm pretty new to Ubuntu and Linux however, somehow I have managed to get FreeCAD installed and open and running.

The problem that I have is that at the moment it is unusable because the view window doesn't display properly. It displays momentarily while zooming in and out but then just goes white, sometimes displaying little white squares over it just before. Typically after a few minutes it then crashes.

Is anyone able to give me some pointers as to how to solve this?

Thanks for any help,

Nick
NIckB

Re: FreeCAD Ubuntu 9.10 Graphics Problem

Post by NIckB »

Actually, don't worry. I'm running Ubuntu on a Mac via Parallels and it seems that OpenGL isn't really supported - or at least that is my guess at the problem.

Nick
jriegel
Founder

Post by jriegel »

You are right,
running a OpenGL app over the network is a tricky thing! Its basically possible via the GLX protocol, but
our experience is - seldom works....
Stop whining - start coding!
cline

Post by cline »

Parallels will have its own display driver that servers a glue to interface with the host display driver. The problem is probably in one or both of these.

I have display problems with native FreeCAD on my MacBook Pro (ATI video card): The OpenGL pane stays out in front of the graphical workbench menus when they are expanded so they overlap. FreeCAD running in a Debian VirtualBox is worse, though.