Anyone for Ship/Boat Design?

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Fredo

Anyone for Ship/Boat Design?

Post by Fredo »

Hi All!
And let us have a Good 2018!!!

Trying to use the ship WB did not lead me to any result, unfortunately. And searching the Forum did not add much ...

But years ago I did program an Application for Ship/Boat Hull design. It is written in Microsoft Visual Basic 4, thus most probably it will have to be translated to some more practical programming language.

It is fully based on NURBS, with the detail that you can shape your hull by pulling on Wire Cage Nodes or on corresponding Surface Nodes.

To start a new vessel it requests overall dimensions and number of longitudinal nodes. It automatically builds an initial model with 3 longitudinal splines, and the requested transversal ones. But new nodes, longitudinal or transversal, can be inserted at will.

For fairing purposes it displays the typical Curvature Vector along the selected Spline (longitudinal or transversal.

The calculation module is a bit primitive: only Displacement and Center of Bouyancy are calculated.

If you think that this could be useful for the FC - Ship Design WB, just contact me and I´ll send all the modules of this project for evaluation. And, of course, I would stand by as far as possible to help with the implementation. I WILL use it if it becomes available!

Copyright is "CC by-nc", so there will be no problems for FC to use it as is or modified.

Any interest will be appreciated!

Greetings,
Fredo Vollmer
Last edited by Fredo on Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greetings!
Fredo
(Valencia, Spain)
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Anyone for Ship/Boat Design?

Post by chrisb »

Hi Fredo, we had contact via PM and it is no problem to show your private contact data in a PM. But you better remove it from the public post, due to spammers watching the forum, you can edit the existing post.
As I told you, the following members might be interested, among others.
microcelly2 wrote:ping
Chris_G wrote:ping
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Fredo

Post by Fredo »

Done!

Thank you once again, ChrisB!
:-)
Greetings!
Fredo
(Valencia, Spain)
Chris_G
Veteran

Post by Chris_G »

chrisb wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:01 pm As I told you, the following members might be interested, among others.
Chris_G wrote:ping
Hi,
I have a strong interest in all that is around nurbs curves and surfaces.
But I don't have enough free time, nor enough knowledge to make a ship WB.
But if someone starts such a project, I will be happy to help if I can.
regis

Post by regis »

Chris_G wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:38 pm I have a strong interest in all that is around nurbs curves and surfaces.
this is already great to do ship design with it, I wish I had time my self. sounds interesting.
hammax
Veteran

Post by hammax »

..there are also trials to test shipshulls in a CFD-environment under FreeCAD.
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 14#p196805
A serious constructionWB for aero- and hydrodynamic bodyshapes would be appreciated
and have some followers.
the_document

Post by the_document »

Boat design is a strange thing that freecad has support for since its a CAD software and boats software are probably very specialized.
Joyas

Post by Joyas »

Fredo wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:16 am Copyright is "CC by-nc", so there will be no problems for FC to use it as is or modified.
Free Software allows you to create copyrighted products, because... it's free.

That freedom ends if you modify it and distribute it, some licenses (GPL for example) doesn't allow you to distribute it if you don't provide the sourcecode and the same license.

About this workbench, I miss a tutorial because I am very lost, I have never done something.
Estudié ingeniería técnica industrial en España y sólo me ha servido para estar en el paro, no me contratan porque no tengo experiencia, y no tengo experiencia porque no me contratan. No debí estudiar esa carrera.
MMSN

Post by MMSN »

Hi,
I do like improve my skill in this workbench but need some help. event ought here is an example model that has a maximum deviation tessellation of 0.01%
Maximum deviation 0.01.JPG
Maximum deviation 0.01.JPG (105.5 KiB) Viewed 4818 times
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Joyas wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:14 am About this workbench, I miss a tutorial
Have you tried looking in the wiki? ;)

Ship Workbench (bottom of page)