Anyone for Ship/Boat Design?

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
thschrader
Veteran

Re: Anyone for Ship/Boat Design?

Post by thschrader »

At the moment the ship-wb does not work properly.
The tutorial stops at the point when trying to calculate
the stability-curve of the hull, reported here:
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?t=23936
@Fredo/Chris_G/MMSN:
Before developing a new ship-wb, please have a look
at the existing code. Maybe it is only a minor bug...
Thomas
Joyas

Post by Joyas »

NormandC wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:25 am
Joyas wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:14 am About this workbench, I miss a tutorial
Have you tried looking in the wiki? ;)

Ship Workbench (bottom of page)
Yes, I read the wiki, but It was some time ago, so I will try to use it again if there are recent changes.
Estudié ingeniería técnica industrial en España y sólo me ha servido para estar en el paro, no me contratan porque no tengo experiencia, y no tengo experiencia porque no me contratan. No debí estudiar esa carrera.
Saiyidah

Post by Saiyidah »

Fredo wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:16 am Hi All!
And let us have a Good 2018!!!

Trying to use the ship WB did not lead me to any result, unfortunately. And searching the Forum did not add much ...

But years ago I did program an Application for Ship/Boat Hull design. It is written in Microsoft Visual Basic 4, thus most probably it will have to be translated to some more practical programming language.

It is fully based on NURBS, with the detail that you can shape your hull by pulling on Wire Cage Nodes or on corresponding Surface Nodes.

To start a new vessel it requests overall dimensions and number of longitudinal nodes. It automatically builds an initial model with 3 longitudinal splines, and the requested transversal ones. But new nodes, longitudinal or transversal, can be inserted at will.

For fairing purposes it displays the typical Curvature Vector along the selected Spline (longitudinal or transversal.

The calculation module is a bit primitive: only Displacement and Center of Bouyancy are calculated.

If you think that this could be useful for the FC - Ship Design WB, just contact me and I´ll send all the modules of this project for evaluation. And, of course, I would stand by as far as possible to help with the implementation. I WILL use it if it becomes available!

Copyright is "CC by-nc", so there will be no problems for FC to use it as is or modified.

Any interest will be appreciated!

Greetings,
Fredo Vollmer
hai fredo!

i do really interesting on ship/boat design. i have pm you privately. i need this to
remodell a ship in FreeCAD and i only have ship lines plan drawing to do it. i want to design a ship from scratch in FreeCAD. i hope it could help me out.

tq fredo.
hammax
Veteran

Post by hammax »

… here is a link to CFD examples:
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 70#p218055
Fredo

Post by Fredo »

Got a PM from Saiyidah, and replied that until March 2019 I will not be able to look into this matter.
But after that time I´ll have a look at it, and if required I´ll report.

:-)
Wish you everyone a Good 2019!
Greetings!
Fredo
(Valencia, Spain)
weebee13

Post by weebee13 »

Hi everyone,

this is my first post to this forum. I would to thank to everybody involved making
FreeCAD available and this far. Especially, I got noticed after I tried the CurvesWB, SILKWB, ARCHWB,
FlamingoWB, ShipWB and the SketcherWB. It looks promising after I made some proof of concepts for what I
inteded. It seems the foundation to expand the Ship Workbench is already there. It needs some tuning, rework to
adapt the needs to build a vessel. Maybe a vessel is a big word. Let's talk about small builders building a vessel
up to 20~30 meters maybe? Until today they use NUPAS, Shipconstructor which doesn't have the ability to create freeform
surfaces in their own environment. They got imported from other CAD systems. Or maybe the privat man who has some fortune and
want to build his own motorboat or sailingboat in his backyard? This is where I think FreeCAD might have the ability to handle.
I don't know how FreeCAD handles an assembly with let's say 600~1000 separete solid bodies, performance wise. This is where I am
up now. Creating methodolgy and testing the FreeCAD, if it can help me achieve my goal.
FreeCAD has the ability to handle geometry associativity in one part and geometry associativity in interlinked part. That's good.
Even it has the ability to split bodies and keep them assosiative. It has a wall and door tools, where you can start working on
tools for bulkheads and manholes for example (okay the brick icon within a section of a vessel would be out of place).
Piping, duct tools are there. Missed the point coordinates file to produce ISO Drawings, though.
For what I know now, FreeCAD has the ability to create impressive surface models for presentation and production.
With it I can create a general arangement of a vessel. Chop the body into small cakes, so every engineer has their own cake
to work with (structure, coordinating pipes/duct, interior, machines etc).
Even FreeCAD 0.19 in the video I saw, gave me the feeling of the old experience I had once.

Regards,

weebee13
"Stop whining, get up and help yourself"
"Hör auf zu jammern, steh auf und hilf dir selbst"
"Stop met zeuren, sta op en help jezelf"

Progress videos of the WB:
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCFRTPtm92UMXGfh__jsA3dg
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

weebee13 wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:31 pm
FYI, Ship WB is looking for a maintainer: https://github.com/FreeCAD/freecad.ship/issues/9
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
weebee13

Post by weebee13 »

The author has a naval architect background, where I am not, so I need time to dig into his code to understand how it works. I had many years experience in testing and support 3D CAD in shipbuilding. Writing tools to check large assemblies for corrupt solids or improper metadata. A couple days ago,I played with the module just to see if it produce something. Maybe I can try to run it against a YD40 sailing yacht, which the book I have just to look if the results are similar.

Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

weebee13 wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:29 pm The author has a naval architect background, where I am not, so I need time to dig into his code to understand how it works. I had many years experience in testing and support 3D CAD in shipbuilding. Writing tools to check large assemblies for corrupt solids or improper metadata. A couple days ago,I played with the module just to see if it produce something. Maybe I can try to run it against a YD40 sailing yacht, which the book I have just to look if the results are similar.
If I may offer a recommendation - if this works with your own process and workflow - posting frequently about it. Since it can attract others who may have some feedback and expertise to offer or even developer skills.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
weebee13

Post by weebee13 »

I will think about it. The workflow I am talking about is after the preliminary and definitive design, that's after all styling, all ship calculation such as hydrostatic, hydrodynamic, strength according classification society has been done. It's about filling the ship with the innards.

Freeship offers similar tools which seems more advanced than the Ship WB. The plus with the WB is that it can be done on hulls based on NURBS and BSpline surfaces. Subdivision IGES is a nightmare. Until now I managed to use point clouds from Freeship to lay down a first rough surface as a base, which has to be rebuild and refined several times until it become a proper hull. I was testing the usability of Freeship -> Freecad workflow. My opinion I can live with that.