Converting STL to GCODE .....

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
willsot

Converting STL to GCODE .....

Post by willsot »

Hi, I am totally new to FreeCAD and 3D Printing, bought a Trendy kit and have put it together and printed the test pillar (yeah), but when I download (STL) files from Thingiverse.com, my printer does not recognise or print. After doing some more research and have a bit of a play with several online/free programs I still can not figure out how to convert STL files to GCOPE for printing.

To comply with the rules:
Just downloaded FreeCAD so it should be up to date
FreeCAD version info
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.16.6712 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-16
Hash: da2d364457257a7a8c6fb2137cea12c45becd71a
Python version: 2.7.11
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 6.8.0.oce-0.17
SORRY - The system tells me the STL files are to large to attach, but they are from thingiverse.com (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2419657)

The problem:
I open FREECAD
Open the Filter or Dish STL file and select the object.
I have tried FILE-EXPORT select gcode as my file type nothing happens. No error, no file.
I went online and found several sites that explain a MESH analyse process, followed by a PART building process, then export as GCODE, but again no error, no file.

is there a simple way (using FreeCAD) to convert STL files to GCODE for printing??

Thanks
Attachments
filter.stl
(95 KiB) Downloaded 432 times
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Converting STL to GCODE .....

Post by chrisb »

The FreeCAD gcode won't help you for 3D printing, it is designed for milling. So it takes material off rather than adding it. What you need is a slicer program like Cura. That can read STL and output printer gcode.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
MostlyHarmless

Post by MostlyHarmless »

I have had good experiences with Cura, both on Linux and Windows. Still using the older 2.7 version as it has features I like that are nowhere to be found in version 3. I also played with Slic3r, but could not get it working properly.

Whatever slicer software you use you need to first configure it for your printer. That means it should know the actual GCode dialect, the dimensions of your printable volume, if the printer has a heated bed and such. If there isn't a preset for your exact printer Cura allows to write custom GCode snippets that will be included at the beginning and end of the actual print. Such GCode snippets are meant to put the extruder at a nice starting position before the print and put it into a safe parking position with all heating and stepper motors off at the end.

You said you printed a test tower. I presume that means that your printer came with some software and data (like my Anet A8 did in form of a micro SD card). You may find the necessary slicer profile(s) on that card/disk.
willsot

Post by willsot »

Thanks guys!! I did kinda come around to the understanding that I needed a separate slicer program and started looking at both of the ones you suggest.

Have a great day!
gecko48

Post by gecko48 »

new to freecad. have stl files and need to convert to g-code for milling. Can someone take me through the process please?
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

gecko48 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 12:47 am new to freecad. have stl files and need to convert to g-code for milling. Can someone take me through the process please?
STL files are not optimum for milling, but it can be done.

The best thing at this time is that you provide all the important information about about your FreeCAD installation using the Help >> About menu item in FreeCAD and copying the information here.

A sample STL file and an image will help determine if this request is straightforward or difficult/impossible.

Gene
gecko48

Post by gecko48 »

must use mach3mill software (G-code)cannot use stl files. using freecad 0.21. 1revision 33668 win 10, 64 bit
Attachments
1.15 MHR-SUP-2203-ARMXXX-01-01.STL
(459.46 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

gecko48 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2023 9:49 pm
This would be a 15 minute modeling job in FreeCAD for an experienced user.

Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (37.77 KiB) Viewed 2539 times

I believe trying to convert an STL file will be difficult and will not produce good results.

I would not want to try the conversion. Perhaps someone else on the forum will see this and have a more optimistic view.

Gene
herbk
Veteran

Post by herbk »

It's also not usefull, because the edges are not rounded...

Pic up Geard with the addon Manager, create a GT5 wheel und add the holes und borders... :)
Gruß Herbert
gecko48

Post by gecko48 »

have waited for your reply as to converting my STL files to g-code. Don't know what else to do for now. Since I'm unfamiliar with how the software works attempts at discovery are frustrating.