arch mod to design a simple house?

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jmaustpc

Re: arch mod to design a simple house?

Postby jmaustpc » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:29 pm

Hi Yorik
I found a bug.

When I put my kitchen benches into my plan view drawing, it extends their edges in an odd way.

This file shows what I am talking about. Have a look at the kitchen in the 2d Drawing and compare the benches with the model, I think you will see what I mean. The lines on the ends are longer that they should be.

My refrigerator, dining room furniture and my refrigerator door swing space, all passed onto the 2d Plan view drawing perfectly. :D

My other door swing spaces still crash FreeCAD when I try to put then in the 2d plan view drawing. However they are curved faces hence 2d, whereas the refrigerator door swing space I left as a portion of a Part Cylinder, hence it is a 3d solid shape.

Jim
jmaustpc

Postby jmaustpc » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:09 pm

Hi guys

I've come across a crash bug.

If I open my lounge file

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2775 It opens with out crashing FreeCAD

if I open my last house file posted above this ....no problems

but if I open the house file and then "merge project" with the lounge it instantly crashes FreeCAD.

Jim
jmaustpc

Postby jmaustpc » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:27 pm

yorik
Site Admin

Postby yorik » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:13 pm

hm I can open the lounge file without problems... I'll investigate further when I have a minute.

In the meantime, more work on my house. The automatic plan view now begins to work well:

jmaustpc

Postby jmaustpc » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:12 am

yorikvanhavre wrote:hm I can open the lounge file without problems... I'll investigate further when I have a minute.
You have to open the house file first,.....then "merge project" with the lounge to get it to fail. Both files open independently fine, its "merge project" on the two of them that causes the crash.
yorikvanhavre wrote:In the meantime, more work on my house. The automatic plan view now begins to work well:
Now that is a useful tool! I'll try that on my house. :)

Jim
jmaustpc

Postby jmaustpc » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:06 am

Hi Yorik
I though being an Architect you might find this interesting? This is a company that sells aluminium products to the Australian building industry. They have a slide show on their home page showing some interesting architecture, presumably showing buildings where their products have been used. But they are mostly interesting buildings that at least look interesting.

http://www.alspec.com.au/

Jim
yorik
Site Admin

Postby yorik » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:15 pm

Hi Jim,
Thanks for the link, very nice buildings indeed... Australia has a pretty good architecture usually. On my favorite arch site ( http://www.archdaily.com ) you'll find a lot of good examples. Today, you can almost talk of an "australian style"...
jmaustpc

Postby jmaustpc » Fri Jul 06, 2012 2:52 pm

yorikvanhavre wrote:Hi Jim,
Thanks for the link, very nice buildings indeed... Australia has a pretty good architecture usually. On my favorite arch site ( http://www.archdaily.com ) you'll find a lot of good examples. Today, you can almost talk of an "australian style"...
Really? I had no idea. I guess if you live here you kind of get used to it and don't notice.

I have a first draft of a layout for a different sort of house. I call it a "hanging lily pad" because the idea is that you have a central column and all the framework for the house hangs from this central column. Therefore the frame is largely loaded in tension. Where as my "Lily Pad" idea was a platform on top of the central column supported from underneath a bit like the base of an up turned wine glass. The supporting frame of the platform on which the house would be built would be primarily loaded in compression.

Being circular and polygonal, these are, I think, an interesting test case for FreeCAD. I used a sketch to calculate the centre line and length of one of the upper C-beams. I used two sketches for the cross section and angle cut of the beam. Actually this is not truly correct because the cross sections are now not at a right angle to the path so the beam's cross section is actually distorted a little bit.

I repeatedly used Polar Draft Arrays after making the first of most beams.

I have some bugs

1)I used view measure distance from one outer top tip of the perimeter frames array to another of its outer top tips, it worked but when I deleted it it crashed FreeCAD. I have been getting FreeCAD to crash on delete of a "view measure" intermittently for quite a few days now.
2)My horizontal beam and perimeter frames will not fuse. I tried making the horizontal beams longer so that they intersected the outer frames by 10mm at each end, but it still wont make a successful fuse.
3)Sketch 10 insists on being on the xy plain even though I try to attach it to another face of the wall like the Arch window "door".
4) I highlighted and copy paste the three sketches, the sweep from those three sketches and the polar array of the sweep from the group "c_section_light_steel_beam" all at once and moved them into group "c-beams2". The idea was to then modify the path sketch and move the two end sketches so that the sweep and array would then represent the next c-beam 450mm to the right of the outer origin beam. The sketch mod and moves work fine but the copied sweep did not move as it still seems to be described by the original sketches and not the copies. That is a behaviour issue, either correct or not and therefore is possibly not a bug but just a learning curve. But here is the bug, now when I try to delete the copied array FreeCAD crashes. I can delete the copied sweep but not the array. I have copied the fcstd file (I am now working on the_lily_pad_hanger_3.FCStd) so that I could test a work around but still keep the FreeCAD crashing file to help bug squashing. The successful work around is to first change the array from a polar array to a ortho array, then it allowed me to delete it. Here is the file that will crash when you delete array004001 in the last group "c-beams2"
the_lily_pad_hanger_2.FCStd
(219.64 KiB) Downloaded 58 times
Jim

edit: - my version data

Platform: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (64-bit)
Version: 0.13.1234 (Git)
Branch: master
Hash: 90a7f690bb4a9f5a819e6b0ee26a0889a0523497
Python version: 2.7.3
Qt version: 4.8.1
Coin version: 3.1.3
SoQt version: 1.5.0
OCC version: 6.5.0
jmaustpc

Postby jmaustpc » Fri Jul 06, 2012 3:51 pm

There is something weird happening with the copied path sketch for the c-beam.

I think its a sketcher related bug so I have posted it separately to this post here

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2793
yorik
Site Admin

Postby yorik » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:06 pm

Very nice house system! You're getting pretty good at architecture work! Did you think to make it totally separated from the ground?
About the view measurement deletion causing a crash, it's interesting... Until now I had seen only draft dimensions and arch axes cause such a crash when deleted. Might be related...

There is indeed something weird about your circular frame... And some edges are not displayed... Curious