Splash screen competition for 0.17 release

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
yorik
Founder

Splash screen competition for 0.17 release

Post by yorik »

Let's do a small competition for a new splash screen for the "official" 0.17 release? I would say, anything works, no need to be done with FreeCAD, but of course if it's done with FreeCAD it's better ;)

Here are a couple of first tries I did... A bit too Arch-centered of course, I'll submit more later on.
If enough people post ideas, let's vote afterwards! (Make sure you add a number to your proposal, like started below):

freecadsplash017-01.png
freecadsplash017-01.png (182.95 KiB) Viewed 2513 times
freecadsplash017-02.png
freecadsplash017-02.png (181.74 KiB) Viewed 2513 times
freecadsplash017-03.png
freecadsplash017-03.png (170.43 KiB) Viewed 2513 times
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: Splash screen competition for 0.17 release

Post by Kunda1 »

can it be animated?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

An "official challenge"? Nice.
DeepSOIC
Veteran

Post by DeepSOIC »

Don't we have one already in FC0.17?
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

I always thought those splash screens needed more 'green' No clue how to make a pretty one though. :lol:

NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Here's a stupid idea: why not have more than one, and have them in rotation (in order or randomly?) each time you launch FreeCAD. Kind of like the banner the FreeCAD website used to have. That way there could be an Arch-oriented splash screen, a Path one, an FEM one, and of course a PartDesign one... That would really show what FreeCAD is all about!

Would it be possible to implement in time for the 0.17 release?

I think one from the massive assemblies of engines, etc. that are sometimes posted in Users Showcase would be awesome.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

NormandC wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:47 pmWould it be possible to implement in time for the 0.17 release?
If someone wants to code this, why not... But IMHO it only makes sense if we have a collection of splash screens formatted and ready. And then, who's going to curate the list, what if next year we're still with the same old ones that were never updated, etc. I would suggest, let's try to make a series of good ones here first, then if we have many good quality ones, we see about it...
sliptonic wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:07 pmI always thought those splash screens needed more 'green'
:D you are not wrong
bitacovir
Veteran

Post by bitacovir »

yorik wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:03 pm Let's do a small competition for a new splash screen for the "official" 0.17 release? I would say, anything works, no need to be done with FreeCAD, but of course if it's done with FreeCAD it's better ;)

Here are a couple of first tries I did... A bit too Arch-centered of course, I'll submit more later on.
If enough people post ideas, let's vote afterwards! (Make sure you add a number to your proposal, like started below):

freecadsplash017-01.png

freecadsplash017-02.png

freecadsplash017-03.png
I like your images (with the FreeCAD colors). But I would suggest a bit of zoom out in the camera. I mean, the interesting thing about your work is that you use FreeCAD as BIM/Space modeler. So try to show more of the space sense from the wikilab.
::bitacovir::
==================
One must be absolutely modern.
Arthur Rimbaud (A Season in Hell -1873)

Canal Youtube Grupo Telegram de FreeCAD Español

My personal web site
My GitHub repository
Mini Airflow Tunnel Project
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

I dunno, I like the one currently in use... it's got gears in it.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

kkremitzki wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:31 pm I dunno, I like the one currently in use... it's got gears in it.
+1.

I do like the current one, it is cool!!

If it needs to be changed, then I would definitely like to see something including the milling path of path wb.

Although one must admit that that industrial complex of Yorik looks good too ;)