How about a highlight reel for 17 release?

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
sliptonic
Veteran

Re: How about a highlight reel for 17 release?

Post by sliptonic »

Looking nice!

Do you think it would be more intuitive if the order of 'features' roughly matched a typical workflow? That is, design tasks like sketcher, Arch, draft early, Analysis tools like, FEM, CFD, in the middle and output workbenches like, Path/Techdraw/raytracing towards the end.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Yes it looks very good, and I would support sliptonics view - if possible.
gntech wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:39 pm https://youtu.be/xCyfkJ2ikSE
If you replace the url-tags with video-tags the the video can be watched directly in the forum. There is even a button for it above the post edit field:
phpBB [video]
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

sliptonic wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 10:26 pm Do you think it would be more intuitive if the order of 'features' roughly matched a typical workflow? That is, design tasks like sketcher, Arch, draft early, Analysis tools like, FEM, CFD, in the middle and output workbenches like, Path/Techdraw/raytracing towards the end.
:thumbs up:
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
gntech

Post by gntech »

Thanks for the positive feedback!

I have now refactored the video a bit, changed order on the parts and added some annotations. Please let me know what you think

phpBB [video]

Now I only need more material to make it longer. I have no footage of the Arch or Raytrace workbenches for example.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

This is really a big improvement.
A hardly dare to say that in the last part with the path simulator it might be difficult to see what really happens. If this could be redone with a slight zoom out and the tool visible it might become clearer.

This is really a minor issue. The video is very convincing as is.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

gntech wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:37 pm I have now refactored the video a bit, changed order on the parts and added some annotations. Please let me know what you think
Very nice :) I think it would be good to add to the TechDraw portion "auto-update drawing para-metrically" i.e. after creating the drawing switch to the model, change the dimension, and then back to the drawing.
"fight the good fight"
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

sgrogan wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:48 pm Very nice :) I think it would be good to add to the TechDraw portion "auto-update drawing para-metrically" i.e. after creating the drawing switch to the model, change the dimension, and then back to the drawing.
Wouldn't that be too much detail?
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

chrisb wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:09 pm Wouldn't that be too much detail?
IMHO this is the biggest feature of TechDraw. Maybe the caption is something like "Drawing updates automatically with model changes"
"fight the good fight"
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

sgrogan wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:24 pm IMHO this is the biggest feature of TechDraw. Maybe the caption is something like "Drawing updates automatically with model changes"
You are of course right - as far as FreeCAD users are concerned. But as a new user that's what I would expect anyway from a parametric system. If we want to show what parametric design is all about then you finally are right again.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

chrisb wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:33 pm You are of course right - as far as FreeCAD users are concerned. But as a new user that's what I would expect anyway from a parametric system. If we want to show what parametric design is all about then you finally are right again.
I agree, and there is a 3rd group of users that tried FreeCAD and didn't stay. Maybe it's time for them to try again?
"fight the good fight"