Whiteboard for v0.18

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
wandererfan
Veteran

Re: Whiteboard for v0.18

Post by wandererfan »

galou_breizh wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:08 pm - Add the workbench versions in the FreeCAD file for workbenches used by this file.
So "About FreeCAD" would have a list like:
alpha workbench v1.2
bravo workbench v3.4
charlie workbench v5.6?
I think(?) only 3rd party workbenches have version #'s now? But I guess if your next suggestion were implemented, this would make a lot of sense.
galou_breizh wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:08 pm - Improve the build or packaging system, so that workbench developed in C++ can be developed without the need to build the entire FreeCAD codebase. This would allow C++ workbenches to be downloaded from github for example and built in a short time.
I'm in favour of anything that reduces compile times, but I don't quite understand this one well enough to make a short description. Does this mean a re-architecting of the code base to make C++ workbenches separate executables with inter process comms for shared functions that are hosted in some kind of FC server s/w?
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

wandererfan wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:07 pm So "About FreeCAD" would have a list like:
I don't think that's what Gaël suggest. I think he means adding this info somehow into the FreeCAD document itself.
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

NormandC wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:09 pm I don't think that's what Gaël suggest. I think he means adding this info somehow into the FreeCAD document itself.
Well, that makes more sense doesn't it!
plgarcia

Post by plgarcia »

May I recommend this thread to be just the list of ideas, and discussions to be the object of separated threads referenced in the post? The owner of a post is able to change it. Therefore he can improve it to summarize the situation.

This thread may become a mixt of tenth of discussions, un-understandable and of no interest for many only willing to participate in some topics only.

To my mind, the discussion may start here, but quickly the related posts should be moved to a dedicated thread.

To gene next post: I think we have almost the same view, but obviously I did not make me clear enough. One post one proposal! Discussions elsewhere as much as possible!

Anyway that was only a suggestion. I am not the “moderator” for this thread. I found the goal of this thread to define what to embed in next version very interesting and positive. Thanks for the initiative!
Last edited by plgarcia on Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

plgarcia wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:17 am May I recommend this thread to be just the list of ideas
I disagree.

Traditional "whiteboarding" allows all sorts of ideas, and it is not correct to *challenge* those ideas.

However, it *is* correct to ask "what does that mean?".

Gene
Joyas

Post by Joyas »

Maybe a "reset coordinates" tool, like a 1×1×1 matrix. This allows to make two rotations without mixing them, for example.

I don't know if this is possible: a skew tool, like the clone scaling options, but for skewing objects.

More surface tools, for example, I know that OpenCascade allows to limit the number of degrees of the surface generated, so It would be great to have that in freeCAD. Another interesting tool would be to have something to join various surfaces in a single one without loosing the original surfaces or a parametric "convert to solid" tool.

And I miss a mirror tool which fuses with the original object. The current tool leaves two objects.
Estudié ingeniería técnica industrial en España y sólo me ha servido para estar en el paro, no me contratan porque no tengo experiencia, y no tengo experiencia porque no me contratan. No debí estudiar esa carrera.
galou_breizh

Post by galou_breizh »

Normand is right, the first step for a workbench to ensure possible backward/forward is that the workbench knows with which version of the workbench the file was saved. We should also ensure that workbench names are unique.

Another idea, probably source of discussion:
- what about temporarily allowing to have multiple parts in the PartDesign workbench? There should of course be a clear indication for the user and other workbenches/functions that the result is NOT valid and that further PartDesign operations will be needed in order to join all parts with some material.

Gaël
Vincent B
Veteran

Post by Vincent B »

chrisb wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:31 am Eliminate unneeded Workbenches like Drawing. Questions arising: migration to TechDraw? Drawing as Addon still available?
+ Inspection
+ OpenSCAD
+ Path
+ Plot
+ Points
+ Resverse Engineering
+ Ship
+ Start
+ Surface
+ Test Framework
+ Web
As workbenchs are easely dowloading, make a light package.
Vincent B
Veteran

Post by Vincent B »

Improve texture mapping for every faces and every parts.
sliptonic
Veteran

Post by sliptonic »

GlouGlou wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:21 pm
chrisb wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:31 am Eliminate unneeded Workbenches like Drawing. Questions arising: migration to TechDraw? Drawing as Addon still available?
+ Path

As workbenchs are easely dowloading, make a light package.
Some people might argue about including Path in a list of 'unneeded workbenches'. At least according to the forum analytics, it's the single most popular workbench specific section.
forumactivity.png
forumactivity.png (175.76 KiB) Viewed 1353 times