Whiteboard for v0.18

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Whiteboard for v0.18

Post by chrisb »

Let ShapeBinder be aware of the placement of Part; at least as an option.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
galou_breizh

Post by galou_breizh »

wandererfan wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:27 am latest version attached.
Thanks wf for summing up all these ideas. Could you please replace "allowing to have multiple parts in the PartDesign workbench" with "temporarily allowing to have multiple parts in the PartDesign workbench". This is just to make it clearer in the case the file is taken out of the context it was generated (this forum topic).

Thanks,
Gaël
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

Make an universal Debian folder that works on both Debian and Ubuntu and merge to FreeCAD master.
"fight the good fight"
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

jmaustpc wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:36 pm Bad idea to put important functionality on hardware that is not common. None of my laptops have a MMB and my desktop has it only by clicking the scroll wheel which is too awkward as is too easily to accidentally scroll the wheel.
tsk, tsk. nudging the "no challenging of ideas" rule. ;)
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

today's update.

Any thoughts on how long to prolong the "idea generating" phase? There seem to be some common threads emerging so we should be getting near the end.

How about Friday 2018-02-16 for end of this phase with analysis and debate to start on the weekend?
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

Native support for non-metric units in the GUI.

Current "expression system" works, but has two problems. One is simply that almost every numerical entry requires clicking on the fx button and then closing the expression in a multi-step process.

The other problem is that every constraint in a sketch shows up in the dependency graph as an expression, often greatly expanding each element. Makes it much more difficult to get useful information from the dependency graph.

This may be inherent to the basic libraries used in FreeCAD, but I have never encountered another multi-unit-system program that requires the expression style entry. Typically one just sets the defaults in preferences and never needs to think about it again.

Gene
reox

Post by reox »

easy hooking/callbacks for plugins, see https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=25221
it would be really nice to be able to be notified as a plugin on opening a new document, closing, ...
reox

Post by reox »

Matael wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:48 am sketcher => radius constraint => allow user to tick a box if he want to set the radius or the diameter and keep this option as saved (tick box could be on the "radius constraint" popup
quite similar: for an angle constraint, be able to select which of the two angles you like to constraint (outer or inner).
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

wandererfan wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:52 pm How about Friday 2018-02-16 for end of this phase with analysis and debate to start on the weekend?
+1 for me. Thanks for this wondererfan. This also lines up with the GSoC timeline:https://developers.google.com/open-source/gsoc/timeline
ref:https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code

How should we debate? Separate threads by category? Maybe this is not granular enough, but there are so many cross dependencies.
@wandererfan, your project management skills will be stressed, I'm sure ;)
"fight the good fight"
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

wandererfan wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:31 pm
jmaustpc wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:36 pm Bad idea to put important functionality on hardware that is not common. None of my laptops have a MMB and my desktop has it only by clicking the scroll wheel which is too awkward as is too easily to accidentally scroll the wheel.
tsk, tsk. nudging the "no challenging of ideas" rule. ;)
OK then, my idea then is "no default use of MMB" since its not available by default on a very significant number of systems! Better? :D