Whiteboard for v0.18

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jmaustpc

Re: Whiteboard for v0.18

Postby jmaustpc » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:11 am

GeneFC wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:05 pm
Native support for non-metric units in the GUI.

Current "expression system" works, but has two problems. One is simply that almost every numerical entry requires clicking on the fx button and then closing the expression in a multi-step process.

The other problem is that every constraint in a sketch shows up in the dependency graph as an expression, often greatly expanding each element. Makes it much more difficult to get useful information from the dependency graph.

This may be inherent to the basic libraries used in FreeCAD, but I have never encountered another multi-unit-system program that requires the expression style entry. Typically one just sets the defaults in preferences and never needs to think about it again.

Gene
what are you talking about? Just go to your settings and select the units scheme you want to use. You don't have to use Expressions. Its been there for ages. Its not 100% complete or perfect in all areas and there is some opportunity to change the way schemes are selected/created etc.

Further more you can enter data directly in the data tabs in the expected Unit (of your scheme) or specifically state any Units of a different system or unit within your system, when entering data into a data tab, and the system will convert it for you. For example if you are in "Building US", and have a 3/8" default Part Cube, you can click on Width property in the treeview property editor and type "25.4mm" or "0.0254m" and it will convert it to (and display) 1".

Underneath FreeCAD always works in mm etc. the Units system converts what you see into the Units you want to use. So two people can seamlessly work on the same file in different Units systems. As I explained above, it also allows you to seamlessly work in one system yet conveniently enter data from another system.
wandererfan wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:31 pm
tsk, tsk. nudging the "no challenging of ideas" rule. ;)
and I am definitely replying to this one because on the surface it is so ridiculous, so perhaps there is something to it that the author poorly worded or something.
GeneFC

Postby GeneFC » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:36 am

Jim,

I am talking about exactly what I said. I have been using FreeCAD daily for years.

I will not repeat except to say I meant EXACTLY what I said. (Yes, I am shouting.)

If you do not believe me, go ahead and try it.

Gene
mrdic

Postby mrdic » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:16 am

I suggest that hot keys and combinations should be assignable/available through different WBs, working across WBs and even invoking WBs if there's no provision to use it in the current one. I often invoke m,v and r,o in part WB unconciously, the translation increment boxes and gripper/navigator triax don't give access to snap features. Hot keys should also be assignable to snap features. Another: Fit all/show all/extents shouldn't include UI elements like the grid and transform triax.
Two cents' worth: Inexpensive generic mouses (even Daiso store $5) pretty much all have scroll wheels/buttons. They're sold marked Win/Mac.
jmaustpc

Postby jmaustpc » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:25 am

GeneFC wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:36 am
Jim,

I am talking about exactly what I said. I have been using FreeCAD daily for years.

I will not repeat except to say I meant EXACTLY what I said. (Yes, I am shouting.)

If you do not believe me, go ahead and try it.

Gene
Hi Gene
what you are saying is just not correct. This is not the topic to discuss it further, if you truly believe what you have written then please open a Help forum topic and discuss this in there.

You may well have a good point but be poorly wording it, or something like that, but as you have written it, well, you are just plain wrong. GUI support for none metric units is not perfect but is there.

You seem to be saying that you think you have to use the Expressions system to use none metric units. This is not true, you can simply enter any specified supported unit from any system by specifying it explicitly other wise the default unit of your selected Units scheme is assumed. You can also select the Units scheme you want displayed and to work with.

If you click on the Expressions button then the Expression itself is remembered, if you just enter an expression directly in the input box then it gets resolved immediately and only the result is remembered (I have only tried it for simple mathematics when not using the Expression button).

Perhaps what you are wanting is some way for Expressions to guess what Unit you want when you are typing an Expression? So for example, if you are in US Customary 1 + 1 would be guessed to mean 1"+1". That is problematic for several reason. If you are designing something in metres then you also have to consider Units in an Expression. Also some mathematical expressions will effect the units in a result. 1mm+3mm=4mm but 1mm*3mm=3mm^2 and will likely produce an error. I would describe Expressions as a bit like a mini-macro and perhaps a more advanced tool that might expect a user to have to consider things more carefully as one would with regards to a macro.

There is more work to be done and some bugs/limitations sure, but in a general sense Units and Expressions are there. So perhaps there is some specific aspect of these that you want addressed? Or perhaps I am misunderstanding what you are talking about.

Jim
wandererfan

Postby wandererfan » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:36 am

sgrogan wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:19 pm
How should we debate? Separate threads by category? Maybe this is not granular enough, but there are so many cross dependencies.
Usually I've done this with a big whiteboard, lots of post-it notes and most of the participants in the same room. This will be new.

I'll make a strawman grouping for people to throw darts at. Then, yeah, probably 1 thread per group to start.
plgarcia

Postby plgarcia » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:24 am

jmaustpc wrote:
Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:06 am
wandererfan wrote:
Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:31 pm
jmaustpc wrote:
Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:36 pm
Bad idea to put important functionality on hardware that is not common. None of my laptops have a MMB and my desktop has it only by clicking the scroll wheel which is too awkward as is too easily to accidentally scroll the wheel.
tsk, tsk. nudging the "no challenging of ideas" rule. ;)
OK then, my idea then is "no default use of MMB" since its not available by default on a very significant number of systems! Better? :D
I believe MMB stands for middle mouse button! A good mouse allows this use in good conditions.
Can this functionality be related to this post Sections More Convenience?
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 90#p213890
What to do precisely will be defined later.
Or do I misunderstand what MMB is?
Matael

Postby Matael » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:06 am

sketcher => expressions => do not open expression in an other window (stay in the popup when you press '=' and then have the possibilities as in the expression window

part design => mirror => allow mirroring of mirrored shape, eg:
step 1:
2018-02-15-110239_645x607_scrot.png
2018-02-15-110239_645x607_scrot.png (12.28 KiB) Viewed 677 times
step 2 : mirror
2018-02-15-110328_1018x523_scrot.png
2018-02-15-110328_1018x523_scrot.png (15.77 KiB) Viewed 677 times
step 3 : mirror of the mirror is not possible, so i juste mirrored the pad
2018-02-15-110409_1000x890_scrot.png
2018-02-15-110409_1000x890_scrot.png (25.83 KiB) Viewed 677 times
wanted (made in the part wb) :
2018-02-15-111340_943x859_scrot.png
2018-02-15-111340_943x859_scrot.png (31.21 KiB) Viewed 671 times
maybe a merge between part design and part wb?
Last edited by Matael on Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Matael

Postby Matael » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:08 am

sketcher => polyline => keep the tool selected (for example, if you were drawing an arc, keep the arc tool selected, do not switch to the "arc with perpendicular lines" tool
Matael

Postby Matael » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:25 am

part design => sketcher => make it possible to create a sketch with an offset (just like in the sketcher wb)

[[part design => sketcher]] & [[sketcher wb]] => make it possible to have a sketcher not parrallel to the existant one (for example, when creating a sketch, allow user to select a line and precise an angle)

(it possibly already exists, i have not search deep in freecad to find it)
GlouGlou

Postby GlouGlou » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:25 pm

By pressing the Esc key, interrupt very long calculation (ex: making fillet of a complex shape). Its will avoid to terminate Freecd with task manager of windows ;)