Sketcher feature request: "publish" any element

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Pauvres_honteux

Re: Sketcher feature request: "publish" any element

Post by Pauvres_honteux »

abdullah wrote:ping
Hi abdullah, since realthunders work lives in a branch of his own I'd like to ask you once again to consider this feature request and invoking it in the Sketcher directly.
As long as we can get it out of the Sketcher some one else may take it from there.
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

Pauvres_honteux wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 12:23 pm
abdullah wrote:ping
Hi abdullah, since realthunders work lives in a branch of his own I'd like to ask you once again to consider this feature request and invoking it in the Sketcher directly.
As long as we can get it out of the Sketcher some one else may take it from there.
I guess you are referring to the publishing of elements of a sketch, so this export commands realthunder has implemented.

There are several points:

1. I am not better in any way or otherwise hold more power than realthunder within FreeCAD. In fact realthunder appears to have way much more knowledge than me of computer science and general FreeCAD.

2. I hate to repeat work already done.

3. I have full deference for the implementations of my peer developers. I am not stealing code or otherwise interfering into their developments.

How I think this should be solved?

There must be a moment when realthunder shall decide whether his work is ready for a merge and whether he wants his work merged with FC or not.

If he wants to merge into master, and because his work is huge, he will have to bring Werner in to a thread and discuss with him how to do it. It may be that it has to be organised "into thematic review friendly merge packages". Because realthunder wrote his code, he should be in the best position to provide it in an "easy-to-review" form. Hopefully there won't be any no-go areas. But this all depends on how realthunder and Werner want to tackle the issue. That said, not that my help is required as we are talking about very capable people, but if help is needed then I am ready to assist wherever is needed.
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

abdullah wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 12:47 pm If he wants to merge into master, and because his work is huge, he will have to bring Werner in to a thread and discuss with him how to do it. It may be that it has to be organised "into thematic review friendly merge packages". Because realthunder wrote his code, he should be in the best position to provide it in an "easy-to-review" form. Hopefully there won't be any no-go areas. But this all depends on how realthunder and Werner want to tackle the issue. That said, not that my help is required as we are talking about very capable people, but if help is needed then I am ready to assist wherever is needed.
I'll start a thread about merging soon (early next month, because my hands are tied this month). Sketch export is tied closely to Topo naming stuff, and I've already published some document for that. I'll write document about the Link stuff soon.
Try Assembly3 with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

realthunder wrote: Sun May 20, 2018 1:02 pm ]I'll start a thread about merging soon (early next month, because my hands are tied this month). Sketch export is tied closely to Topo naming stuff, and I've already published some document for that. I'll write document about the Link stuff soon.
I am very happy to hear that. :D

If anyhow I may be of help, just let me know.
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

Hi, noted the discussion to merge Realthunder's Link Branch below... then search and find an AppImage for Assembly 3 and find 'Sketch Export' feature without having to compile.
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 2&start=40

- FreeCAD-asm3-20180630-7e5b3323-f5dd9d4.glibc2.17-x86_64.AppImage

Tested to build ArchWall with the Export... find ArchWall do not build if Export has a nos. of edges...

Still testing what can be done.... How do you use SketchExport BTW?
Screenshot from 2018-08-04 16-32-51.png
Screenshot from 2018-08-04 16-32-51.png (244.67 KiB) Viewed 1026 times
Attachments
Test_ Sketch Export_ ArchWall.fcstd
(16.45 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

paullee wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:45 am Still testing what can be done.... How do you use SketchExport BTW?
There are some fixes regarding Arch/Draft WB. Please wait for the next release, should be coming soon
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

Can't wait to try :)

Thanks!
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

It's out.
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

realthunder wrote: Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:01 pm It's out.
Tested - It works now on ArchWall ! :)

Thinking how to best use this feature.

... I previously created 'layers of sketches' - 'master sketch' + several 'dependent sketches' - and can further add other edges and constraints in the 'dependent sketches'...

Screenshot from 2018-08-08 02-15-30.png
Screenshot from 2018-08-08 02-15-30.png (197.6 KiB) Viewed 895 times