FC phpbb forum toolbar refinements - requesting feedback

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: FC phpbb forum toolbar refinements - requesting feedback

Post by Kunda1 »

Kunda1 wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 3:14 pm
kkremitzki wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:11 pm Custom BBCodes can be associated with an icon fairly easily
I don't have admin access.
Kurt, care to re-arrange the toolbar via the admin panel. Then I will attempt to change the icons unless it's easier for you?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Bumping this thread in hopes of pushing it forward
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Kunda1 wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:01 pm
kkremitzki wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:11 pm Custom BBCodes can be associated with an icon fairly easily
Kurt, care to re-arrange the toolbar via the admin panel. Then I will attempt to change the icons unless it's easier for you?
@kkremitzki I know you're busy, can you put this on your roadmap ?
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

Kunda1 wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:55 pm
Kunda1 wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:01 pm
@kkremitzki I know you're busy, can you put this on your roadmap ?
Sure, I'll give it a shot shortly.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

I was doing some digging and it looks like the instructions I found, which said you could just upload an image with the same filename as the bbcode and have it be used automatically, was actually for a custom extension. So, it won't be quite so straightforward as it will require a JS/CSS solution.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

kkremitzki wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:27 pm I was doing some digging and it looks like the instructions I found, which said you could just upload an image with the same filename as the bbcode and have it be used automatically, was actually for a custom extension. So, it won't be quite so straightforward as it will require a JS/CSS solution.
But why? We're referencing Font Awesome. So there is no need to upload anything, right? just point to the FA library...?
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

Most new users don't see the Attachments tab and don't know how to attach files. I was thinking an attach files icon (maybe a paperclip) that when clicked would scroll the user down to the tabs area and expand the attachments tab would work. Or it might be better to just move the tabs section above the toolbar, or perhaps above "Post a reply" would be more visible than the current location below the submit button. Maybe the attachments tab should be the one open, too, rather than the options tab.
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

Kunda1 wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:22 am
kkremitzki wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:27 pm I was doing some digging and it looks like the instructions I found, which said you could just upload an image with the same filename as the bbcode and have it be used automatically, was actually for a custom extension. So, it won't be quite so straightforward as it will require a JS/CSS solution.
But why? We're referencing Font Awesome. So there is no need to upload anything, right? just point to the FA library...?
The problem is that there is no "just point to the FA library" option in phpBB. The actual technical implementation of changing the appearance of particular buttons to particular things requires writing JS or CSS, and that must be written, tested, and uploaded to the server. When researching the issue I had found information that suggested it was possible to simply upload an image file with the same name as the custom bbcode, but that's specific to a phpBB extension.