feature request: in sketcher the ability to select lines that are on eachother

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
freecc

feature request: in sketcher the ability to select lines that are on eachother

Post by freecc »

I was using sketcher and had three lines on top of eachother, they were of different length, I could not choose which to select because the long one covered all three. So I am requesting this.
Joel_graff
Veteran

Re: feature request: in sketcher the ability to select lines that are on eachother

Post by Joel_graff »

freecc wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:45 pm I was using sketcher and had three lines on top of eachother, they were of different length, I could not choose which to select because the long one covered all three. So I am requesting this.
+1

I've been thinking about this, too. There is a way to select overlapped geometry using the hierarchy view, but being able to right-click through overlapping geometry (or left click multiple times) would be valuable.
FreeCAD Trails workbench for transportation engineering: https://www.github.com/joelgraff/freecad.trails

pivy_trackers 2D coin3D library: https://www.github.com/joelgraff/pivy_trackers
chrisb
Veteran

Re: feature request: in sketcher the ability to select lines that are on eachother

Post by chrisb »

freecc wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:45 pm I was using sketcher and had three lines on top of eachother, they were of different length, I could not choose which to select because the long one covered all three. So I am requesting this.
In the panel to the left there is an "Elements" section. Clicking on it shows/hides the elements in a list. You can select single lines by selecting it in the list.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Mongrel_Shark

Post by Mongrel_Shark »

Agree. I often have to delete and re-draw sketcher components because none of the already mentioned options work. Its a huge pain and one of the bigger slow downs in freecad workflow.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

There is absolutely no good reason to create lines that are overlapping each other. Normal lines over external geometry lines, that I can understand, and it's covered by the new visibility options in 0.17's Sketcher. Normal white line overlapping another white line: it does not create a valid sketch for PartDesign features. It is bad design practice, period.
Joel_graff
Veteran

Post by Joel_graff »

NormandC wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:51 am Normal white line overlapping another white line: it does not create a valid sketch for PartDesign features. It is bad design practice, period.
In my use case, it was more about construction geometry getting buried under the non-construction geometry. As I'm designing things in the Transportation workbench, it doesn't have to happen, but I could see someone choosing to do that as a natural result of the workflow...

I'll admit it isn't something I'd expect to happen frequently, though.
FreeCAD Trails workbench for transportation engineering: https://www.github.com/joelgraff/freecad.trails

chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Joel_graff wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:43 am I'll admit it isn't something I'd expect to happen frequently, though.
So we can live with the selection in the Elements list. I still would doubt that it is sensible to have more than one construction line on each other.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
freecc

Post by freecc »

chrisb wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:22 am
Joel_graff wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:43 am I'll admit it isn't something I'd expect to happen frequently, though.
So we can live with the selection in the Elements list. I still would doubt that it is sensible to have more than one construction line on each other.
Ah the element list! I didn't see it! Thanks!!!

I used lines on eachother when i made a sketch and wanted to extrude different parts of it at different length, so by having lines on eachother and only changing them to constructing lines i could easily change what would be extruded with the same sketch.
Joel_graff
Veteran

Post by Joel_graff »

chrisb wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:22 am So we can live with the selection in the Elements list. I still would doubt that it is sensible to have more than one construction line on each other.
In my use case, I don't have two construction lines on each other. I have one construction line being over laid by one (or more) non-construction lines. In my workflow, it's entirely possible a construction line could become completely buried, though it's not necessary and is avoidable. I could call it a "bad practice", but it's not wrong.

Anyway, the element list is certainly sufficient, except where it's not well organized or otherwise large. It's not a big issue to me either way, and I don't want to stump for a feature that isn't really needed, but I could see it being an occasionally useful, minor improvement to selection.

GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

Joel_graff wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 11:57 am the element list is certainly sufficient, except where it's not well organized or otherwise large.
As pointed out by NormandC and probably others, if the element list is "otherwise large" it may be appropriate to rethink the strategy of adding too many elements into a single sketch.

Splitting sketches into smaller entities helps with several problems, such as missing constraints and hidden lines.

Gene