v0.18 or later - Designing in Context

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: v0.18 or later - Designing in Context

Post by chrisb »

dulouie wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:18 am ATM im on mac and can make a mac .dmg of your asm3 0.4 release.
Can you provide it for other Mac users too?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
dulouie

Post by dulouie »

chrisb wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:54 am
dulouie wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:18 am ATM im on mac and can make a mac .dmg of your asm3 0.4 release.
Can you provide it for other Mac users too?
For sure! Usually im on linux but i can provide it for mac too. I think more testers gives more feedback and a more matured release.
Last edited by dulouie on Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

dulouie wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:18 am Hey realthunder i compiled your lastest LinkStage3 branch which is equal to asm3 0.4 release i think.
External geometry tool in sketcher works now, but an old shapebinder issue risen from the dead.
The Shapebinder is part of solid when you pad a sketch, which is attached to shapebinders face.
Fixes #<0003159> ShapeBinder is part of solid #950
Both issue should have been fixed. Please sync LinkStage3 and try again.

PS. any post I shall check about FC Mac build? Haven't got time yet, but would like to try later.
Try Assembly3 with my custom build of FreeCAD at here.
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
dulouie

Post by dulouie »

You are so fast:) Okay i sync it test it again, take your time.

Here about mac: LinkStage3 assembly3 MAC build
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

the_document wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 8:00 am I meant
https://pypi.python.org/pypi/snakeoil
Ah that kind of oil. No AFAIK FreeCAD doesn't use it. If something is too slow C++ porting can be explored. Here we are ATM. In the future maybe other options will be explored. But usually in a lot of use cases Python isn't too slow. And therefore it is not all that important. If it could be faster. As there is i guess no real benefit in making it faster.
dulouie

Post by dulouie »

realthunder wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:08 pm Both issue should have been fixed. Please sync LinkStage3 and try again.

PS. any post I shall check about FC Mac build? Haven't got time yet, but would like to try later.
I can confirm, both issue are fixed.
dulouie

Post by dulouie »

Hi realthunder,
now i'm on your linkdev branch again and noticed that the relative mode isn't working properly.
Please check the attached file, move the cylinder and plate in the space and try your subshapebinder.
I believe when you fix it, this is also the solution for this https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 86#p230986
Another things is to set shape colors and random shape color feature are not working.

edit: asm3 Preview 0.4, 2018.03.31 works well
Attachments
subshapebinder.fcstd
(59.36 KiB) Downloaded 46 times
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

dulouie wrote: Sat May 19, 2018 6:41 pm Hi realthunder,
now i'm on your linkdev branch again and noticed that the relative mode isn't working properly.
Please check the attached file, move the cylinder and plate in the space and try your subshapebinder.
I believe when you fix it, this is also the solution for this https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 86#p230986
Another things is to set shape colors and random shape color feature are not working.

edit: asm3 Preview 0.4, 2018.03.31 works well
For the shapebinder, you need to manually double click the shapebinder to re-synchronize it after you move its parent, the plate. This is by design, to deal with dependency loop.

Can you please elaborate on the color problem you have? Are you trying to set color on shape binder? Which command under which menu are you using?
And if you'd like to show your support, you can donate through patreon, liberapay, or paypal
dulouie

Post by dulouie »

I know that i have to re-sync after i move the parent body. But when i create the shapebinder the first time, it is on the wrong place and i have to sync it manually. This extra click can be confusing for some people. Do you have changed the shapebinder behaviour since 0.4?

Appearance and random color in the picture are not working on body.
Attachments
color.png
color.png (62.64 KiB) Viewed 1269 times
realthunder
Veteran

Post by realthunder »

dulouie wrote: Tue May 22, 2018 6:39 pm I know that i have to re-sync after i move the parent body. But when i create the shapebinder the first time, it is on the wrong place and i have to sync it manually. This extra click can be confusing for some people. Do you have changed the shapebinder behaviour since 0.4?

Appearance and random color in the picture are not working on body.
Regarding the color problem, yes, there is significant change in PartDesign under the hood in 0.5. I added support of Topo Naming in PartDesign. As a result, you can have multiple colors in body just like Part boolean object. The first child feature inherits the body shape color, or you can explicitly set the color in the first feature, and the following features will inherent its color. You can set a different color in some middle feature, and the color will be combined like you'd expected. After the feature is created, changing body's color has no effect. If you change the color of some feature, currently you have to manually mark recompute of the object, and recompute the document to see the effect. This process needs improvement.

Regarding the placement problem, there is a bug, and I've already fixed it in LinkDev. Despite this, it is good to develop the habit to double click if you think the shape is out of place. Because, context-based-editing is complex, and the software cannot always auto deduce which context the user want, especially when creating the binder object. Right now, the user announce its intended context by setting an active body by double clicking it. But the user can later on move that body to a container, like App::Part, or my LinkGroup, or the Assembly container. And multiple container can contain the same body, either directly or through my Link. In other words, there can be multiple context of the same object.

You can re-establish the default context, by double clicking the body under the desired container. Newly created the binder will now use that context. But you'll have to remember to double click again when you switch context, i.e. working under another container.

My suggestion is that, you do not need to concern where the default context is, as long as it is the correct body. When you create a new binder, and the shape is out of place, simply double click it to resync. The action of double clicking tells the program your intended context.

The following screencast shows the possibility of multiple context