1.7% Market Share of CAD Software

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
marcin_ose

1.7% Market Share of CAD Software

Post by marcin_ose »

Friends,

This is good - according to the Wevolver newsletter (https://blog.wevolver.com/newsletter/), FreeCAD has a 1.7% market share:

Any thoughts on how to increase that?

Marcin
Founder, Open Source Ecology
http://opensourceecology.org/
thschrader
Veteran

Re: 1.7% Market Share of CAD Software

Post by thschrader »

marcin_ose wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:12 pm Any thoughts on how to increase that?
Marcin
Yes.
Ask more than only 500 people and 30 engineers. That was a survey in the wevolver
community alone. I think the diagram above does not reflect the true situation worldwide... ;)
https://blog.wevolver.com/2018/03/15/en ... are-usage/
freecad-heini-1
Veteran

Post by freecad-heini-1 »

I miss Creo, Catia and NX in this chart.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

A percent or two would likely come from more promotional activity. Likely a lot of CAD users don't know about FreeCAD. Or don't know FreeCAD can already do the task they use CAD for.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

thschrader wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:41 pm Ask more than only 500 people and 30 engineers. That was a survey in the wevolver
community alone. I think the diagram above does not reflect the true situation worldwide... ;)
That may turn out to be the understatement of the year. ;)

I didn't know the Wevolver community. It's apparently formed of people who know about open source, so of course results from this community will be skewed. People in the industry who don't have any special interest in software have no clue what open source is, or that it even exists.

https://blog.wevolver.com/about/

So yeah, the real state of affairs is that FreeCAD would probably not register on such a pie chart.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

marcin_ose wrote: Sat Mar 17, 2018 6:12 pm Any thoughts on how to increase that?
Indirectly:
  • Volunteers to improve the FreeCAD API documentation
  • Funding for GSOC-like projects to improve FC in ways the community supports
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
AndrewHeard

Post by AndrewHeard »

Just my 2 cents worth... I have moved to FreeCAD after using a combination of TuboCAD Deluxe and SketchUp Make over the last year (also AutoCAD LT, Drafix, OpenOffice Draw in the past). TurboCAD seems to have more bugs with each new release. SketchUp has a very easy learning curve and is a joy to use; you make great initial progress but I quickly ran into what I consider fundamental problems
• When two lines cross, they cut each other
• When two lines contact each other, they stick together.
• When two lines are exactly congruent, the second line is “absorbed” by the first

I am not a power user (unlike most of the users I read on this forum) but just trying to create my own new house 3D plans and other minor tasks. I appreciate FreeCAD is developed by volunteers with $0 budget but I have found some seemingly easy tasks tedious & little issues/ bugs with the UX especially compared to SketchUp which "just works" so nicely - big development & marketing budget. I initially trialled FC a year ago before deciding it was too complex & confusing and went onto buy (waste) good money on TC. But I returned to FC a month ago after giving up on SketchUp due to the issues listed above. I have no regrets, it is working out the best tool for my requirements, but I simply write my honest experience here as many potential non-power users may be put off too.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

If i understand correctly. Regardless of all the issues you are having/had with FreeCAD. You have returned to FreeCAD in the end. As it is still better compared to other options?

Well that actually isn't all that bad? ;)
AndrewHeard

Post by AndrewHeard »

triplus wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 1:46 pm If i understand correctly. Regardless of all the issues you are having/had with FreeCAD. You have returned to FreeCAD in the end. As it is still better compared to other options?

Well that actually isn't all that bad? ;)
Correct - not bad at all - in the end. I was just explaining my "journey" and why increasing market share (this topic) may be difficult.
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

It has the 100% of the Market Share in the independent republic of my home. :lol: ;)