parametric hinged door with swing representation face

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jmaustpc
Veteran

parametric hinged door with swing representation face

Post by jmaustpc »

Hi Guys

Hi all this is a parametric hinged door with swing representation face. With the door opening inwards (towards the viewer) the hinges are on the left and the door knobs on the right.

Here is the file for those who are curious.
hinged_door_inwards_right_handed_door_2.FCStd
(37.88 KiB) Downloaded 363 times

the rest of this post is a description of how and why I made it the way I did, and some bugs/feature requests/observations for developers.
  • I hit a few bugs with this one, There are many different ways I could have made this and I tried a few with varying degrees of success.

For starters, just because I love all the tools all of you have made :) I made the door swing surface like this, obviously there are simpler alternatives.

1) I created a cylinder in Part, changed it to 110 degrees and adjusted its dimensions and made it 90% transparent
    2) I used Jose's edges of solid tool from Surface WB, produces a wire frame where all edges are one item
    3) so next Yorik's Draft down grade tool to split it into a list of edges, deleted the edges I didn't require
    4) Werner's shape builder to make a face from the edges not deleted (the outer curved edges of the cylinder segment)
    5) then adjust the face transparency and line style to dotted

I was in two minds about either having the rotation representation as either a face or a set of edges, I tried both, I think a face is more visually impressive in a 3d model and both should render much the same in a Drawing, so I went with a face.

For the open door panel I tried Part Extrude the surface which worked but failed later when I wanted to boolean fuse so I went back to a Part Box, however the Part Box also fails on Boolean Fuse...so ...

For the door knob, I made a sketch of half a cross section of one side of the pair of knobs, then used Part Revolve and then Part Mirror to give me a door knob on both sides.

A possible bug comment here....if you Part Revolve then apply Part Mirror to the resultant Part Revolve ... much to my surprise...it mirrored the underlying sketch only and not the Part Revolve. So I Part Mirrored first (which mirrored the sketch) and then Part Revolved the Mirrored sketch and it worked.

The Part Boolean Fuse fails when I try to fuse the surface as it also did when I tried to fuse just edges the same as the edges of the surface door swing representation.

Feature Request for Yorik
    I tried to use you Array tool for the three hinge cylinders but I just realised it can only Array in X and Y axis. Would it be hard to extend you really cool Array tool to also work in the Z axis?

Having said the above I could have still used the Array tool by arraying in x or y and then rotating the result, but I didn't try this, but I assume that would have worked.

Feature Request for Werner
    When you Part Boolean Fuse you, I believe it was you?, fixed up the code so that the resultant solid keeps the original colours of the faces, is it possible or difficult to also remember the transparency values? In this example I wanted to make the door hinge cylinders much less transparent than the door panel.

This door could be a lot better result once Assembly is out, as then I could tie the different object together without having to fuse.

But for now even though it has to be a set of several different parts, it will do the job in my house model. It just means that i have to position several items rather than one.
Jim
yorik
Founder

Re: parametric hinged door with swing representation face

Post by yorik »

jmaustpc wrote: Feature Request for Yorik
I tried to use you Array tool for the three hinge cylinders but I just realised it can only Array in X and Y axis. Would it be hard to extend you really cool Array tool to also work in the Z axis?
Sure! Could you make a mantis ticket so I don't forget?

*EDIT* provisorily you can also embed one (horizontal) array inside another (vertical) one ;)
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

yorikvanhavre wrote:
jmaustpc wrote: Feature Request for Yorik
Sure! Could you make a mantis ticket so I don't forget?

*EDIT* provisorily you can also embed one (horizontal) array inside another (vertical) one ;)
Now that's a good idea. Also a polar array of ortho arrays and visa versa! And what about a polar array of ortho array of polar arrays of ortho etc.? Can't think of a practical use for that other than making a pretty pattern, sort of like a fractal.

At the rate FreeCAD is improving, how long is it going to be before the commercial guys REALLY hate us?? :lol:
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

here is the mantis feature request ticket.

https://sourceforge.net/apps/mantisbt/f ... php?id=765
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

jmaustpc wrote:At the rate FreeCAD is improving, how long is it going to be before the commercial guys REALLY hate us?? :lol:
The worst thing, is that I'm really afraid that it will happen in some future... Microsoft already tried to "sue linux", and I prefer not to think of what Autodesk can try if they want to...
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

Hi Yorik and all
yorikvanhavre wrote:*EDIT* provisorily you can also embed one (horizontal) array inside another (vertical) one ;)
Oh! I see you mean one already can do this, I thought you meant wouldn't it be good if it could. :oops:

Here is a polar array of ortho array or an ortho array. :D
array of arrays.FCStd
(83.87 KiB) Downloaded 120 times
Jim
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

Hi all
Yorik has added the z-axis to his array tool!

Thanks Yorik

here is a polar array on the y axis, of another array, ortho array with a z-axis element. Just to show that you can do so.
Jim