Part rotation

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
easyw-fc
Veteran

Re: Part rotation

Post by easyw-fc »

the_document wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:29 pm Denying this is a horrible bug is sad, but closing a legitimate bug is worse. Made screencast to prove my point. Likely last screencast anyways.
I still consider this a PEBCAK

PEBCAK.gif
PEBCAK.gif (772.33 KiB) Viewed 1011 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

the_document wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:29 pm Denying this is a horrible bug is sad, but closing a legitimate bug is worse. Made screencast to prove my point. Likely last screencast anyways.
https://nofile.io/f/cx97OA7XddW/bug.mkv
Thanks for the screencast as it shows that you did not read easyw-fc's post nor did you watch his animated gif. Please do so. It doesn't help enlarging some text claiming it is a bug. It isn't.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Guys, I think a necessary first step has not been mentioned, or more specifically has not been explained. And I might be mistaken, but it's not mentioned anywhere in the wiki.

easyw-fc wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:20 pm If you zoom fit or even change the pivot center of rotation
To change the centre of rotation without applying a zoom fit, you need to do a middle button (mouse wheel) click on the part in the 3D view. This will centre the selected point in the 3D view; then rotation will be centred on it.
Attachments
FC_rotate_view_centre_01.gif
FC_rotate_view_centre_01.gif (246.92 KiB) Viewed 994 times
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

NormandC wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:31 pm Guys, I think a necessary first step has not been mentioned, or more specifically has not been explained.
the OP didn't read what we replied ... and he made a wrong assumption since the beginning, instead of asking for help
easyw-fc wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:45 pm
the_document wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:06 pm Using a FC git revision from here https://github.com/realthunder/FreeCAD_ ... 3/releases appimage I only found trackball and turntable both of which don't revolve object by their center and orbit when revolving.
so you are saying 'Its making FC mediocre.' and you are using a very 'experimental' build, without even noticing that ....
This is worst than missing to read to docs :D

Moreover from your image I see you can change the Mouse Style from Blender to i.e. Gesture and test the rotation with Middle Mouse Button or key 'H'

and also @triplus already mentioned that
triplus wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:41 pm It's not always easy to work with some new users. But i guess life isn't perfect. :)

Anyway i agree with @GeneFC and @easyw-fc. Your question and response was mediocre at best. But luckily FreeCAD isn't in the mentioned area. If you are using FreeCAD 0.17 hover over the navigation indicator in the status bar. Look for what it says you have to do to set the rotation focus.

And Voila!
about the wiki:
NormandC wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:31 pm And I might be mistaken, but it's not mentioned anywhere in the wiki.
I don't find any mention there either
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

I stand corrected, but we need to fix the wiki...
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

NormandC wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 7:13 pm but we need to fix the wiki...
yep :D