Part rotation

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
the_document

Part rotation

Post by the_document »

Any plans to improve part view rotation? Currently it has to orbit and cannot freely rotate in place what it does is orbit and makes large loops around the center of the part. Its making FC mediocre.
GeneFC
Veteran

Re: Part rotation

Post by GeneFC »

Try a different mouse model to find one you like better.

https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Mouse_Model

Here is a hint on how to use this forum more effectively.

Instead of
the_document wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:31 pm Any plans to improve part view rotation?
How about "How do I change the way part view rotation works?"

Your questions seem to imply that you already know everything about FreeCAD, and that it is lacking many features. In most cases you simply do not yet have the full understanding that comes with experience.

The folks here are all volunteers who want to help. Give them a chance.

Gene
the_document

Post by the_document »

GeneFC wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:18 am Try a different mouse model to find one you like better.

https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Mouse_Model

Here is a hint on how to use this forum more effectively.

Instead of
the_document wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:31 pm Any plans to improve part view rotation?
How about "How do I change the way part view rotation works?"

Your questions seem to imply that you already know everything about FreeCAD, and that it is lacking many features. In most cases you simply do not yet have the full understanding that comes with experience.

The folks here are all volunteers who want to help. Give them a chance.

Gene
You assumed I didn't try your suggestion prior to creating the topic.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

the_document wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:37 am You assumed I didn't try your suggestion prior to creating the topic.
I won't make that mistake again. :evil:

Gene
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

the_document wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:31 pm Any plans to improve part view rotation? Currently it has to orbit and cannot freely rotate in place what it does is orbit and makes large loops around the center of the part. Its making FC mediocre.
If you zoom fit or even change the pivot center of rotation you shouldn't have any issue or lack in feature....
This seems to me that really you miss to read some documentation...
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

It's not always easy to work with some new users. But i guess life isn't perfect. :)

Anyway i agree with @GeneFC and @easyw-fc. Your question and response was mediocre at best. But luckily FreeCAD isn't in the mentioned area. If you are using FreeCAD 0.17 hover over the navigation indicator in the status bar. Look for what it says you have to do to set the rotation focus.

And Voila!
the_document

Post by the_document »

triplus wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:41 pm It's not always easy to work with some new users. But i guess life isn't perfect. :)

Anyway i agree with @GeneFC and @easyw-fc. Your question and response was mediocre at best. But luckily FreeCAD isn't in the mentioned area. If you are using FreeCAD 0.17 hover over the navigation indicator in the status bar. Look for what it says you have to do to set the rotation focus.

And Voila!
Using a FC git revision from here https://github.com/realthunder/FreeCAD_ ... 3/releases appimage I only found trackball and turntable both of which don't revolve object by their center and orbit when revolving.

easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

the_document wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:06 pm Using a FC git revision from here https://github.com/realthunder/FreeCAD_ ... 3/releases appimage I only found trackball and turntable both of which don't revolve object by their center and orbit when revolving.
so you are saying 'Its making FC mediocre.' and you are using a very 'experimental' build, without even noticing that ....
This is worst than missing to read to docs :D

Moreover from your image I see you can change the Mouse Style from Blender to i.e. Gesture and test the rotation with Middle Mouse Button or key 'H'
gesture-png.png
gesture-png.png (22.59 KiB) Viewed 2347 times
the_document

Post by the_document »

easyw-fc wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:45 pm
the_document wrote: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:06 pm Using a FC git revision from here https://github.com/realthunder/FreeCAD_ ... 3/releases appimage I only found trackball and turntable both of which don't revolve object by their center and orbit when revolving.
so you are saying 'Its making FC mediocre.' and you are using a very 'experimental' build, without even noticing that ....
This is worst than missing to read to docs :D

Moreover from your image I see you can change the Mouse Style from Blender to i.e. Gesture and test the rotation with Middle Mouse Button or key 'H'

gesture-png.png
FC crashes when using gesture rotation + focus (holding H key) - part still doesn't rotate about its center after panning the part around.

Made bug https://www.freecadweb.org/tracker/view.php?id=3394
Last edited by the_document on Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
saso
Veteran

Post by saso »

Deleted: should have read the full post before replaying...