Is this worth a tracker list at current develoment?

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
freedman
Veteran

Is this worth a tracker list at current develoment?

Post by freedman »

Part Design;
Make a solid doughnut and select, click on "Make a thick solid". DOA on the table everytime. It doesn't much sense to do this operation and I can see surface calc problems.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.13452 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 34633c144de9133c1f9aeb7da783f369cae9bfaf
Python version: 2.7.14
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.1.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Is this worth a tracker list at current develoment?

Post by chrisb »

I get a message here "Thickness not possible on selected faces/edges." which is perfect. Please update to the current stable 0.17 version and try again.

Version: 0.17.13509 (Git)
Branch: tag: 0.17
Hash: 0258808ccb6ba3bd5ea9312f79cd023f1a8671b7
Qt version: 5.10.1
OCC version: 7.2.0
Locale: German/Germany (de_DE)
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

Sure enough. Thanks. Is there something on the forum page (visual) to tell me when a new version is published?

Version: 0.18.13524 (Git)
Branch: master
Hash: 04a7f566fe71dcad8fda92af2f467d3cc211a372
Qt version: 4.8.7
OCC version: 7.2.0
Locale: English/UnitedStates (en_US)
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

freedman wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:18 am Sure enough. Thanks. Is there something on the forum page (visual) to tell me when a new version is published?
You go to the 0.18 download page and look at the number behind the "0.18.". If it is higher than your number the version is newer.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

chrisb wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:03 am
freedman wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:18 am Sure enough. Thanks. Is there something on the forum page (visual) to tell me when a new version is published?
You go to the 0.18 download page and look at the number behind the "0.18.". If it is higher than your number the version is newer.
If you are following dev versions/master, then there are on average numerous new versions every day. We have had several thousand commits in the last two years.
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

If you are following dev versions/master, then there are on average numerous new versions every day. We have had several thousand commits in the last two years.
Amazing!
What I was asking; is there a release notice or do I just need to check downloads everyday? I write software so I get the version number system. I'm trying to plan a strategy so that I don't post using an outdated version.

Currrently using Version: 0.18.13524 (Git).

Thanks all.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

freedman wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:24 pm
Amazing!
What I was asking; is there a release notice or do I just need to check downloads everyday? I write software so I get the version number system. I'm trying to plan a strategy so that I don't post using an outdated version.

Currrently using Version: 0.18.13524 (Git).

Thanks all.
You are presumably still talking about on Windows....on Ubuntu Linux you can use the package manager with the daily PPA.

I assume you are talking about the "snap shot" dev releases. If using Git and compiling then there are numerous updates all the time. With the snap shots you have to wait until the person that creates them creates a new one, which he does regularly.

Either way, if you ever think you have found a bug in a dev version, before doing anything, check for an update so you can first test it in the most recent version you can get. A lot of bugs are fixed very quickly.
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

I assume you are talking about the "snap shot" dev releases.
That's it. Thank you. New search words, Ya!
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

freedman wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:14 pm That's it. Thank you. New search words, Ya!
Sign-up for Github and watch the FreeCAD/FreeCAD repo. I don't think you will get a notification when new assets are deployed, but you will get notifications for commits to master. For when the new builds get published you will need to check here: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD/rele ... g/0.18_pre I try to update this "daily", but in reality it is 4-5 times per week.

Also see here: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=27514 I am thinking of some .bat that can be set as a "timed event" (cron job) to automate this on Win.
"fight the good fight"