Help with electric vehicle educational project

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Vino the dog

Help with electric vehicle educational project

Post by Vino the dog »

Greetings,

I am looking for an experienced FreeCad user/teacher who may like to assist on a unique project. The project is a design-build educational program based on small utility electric vehicles. The design phase was originally developed with Solid Edge which my version is years out of date and I have no intention of purchasing a new version. I believe the open source movement is essential to maintaining computer based technology available to everyone. I have chosen FreeCad as the program to use in this project but have no experience with it and find the learning curve steep, even for one with prior CAD experience.

My project begins with participants designing their own unique small utility electric vehicle and continues clear up to building the vehicle and testing & using it. While CAD is not essential to the program, it will obviously equip participants with a much higher competence which they can use as they choose after the program. Thus, an experienced FreeCad user helping with this phase will dramatically cut down the time to initiate the first pilot program over what it will take me due to my inexperience.

I think a strong FreeCad introduction can not only benefit my program, but also be of great value in producing an excellent beginner to intermediate tutorial for the community. This is so because the incentive and focus of using the program to design a practical vehicle that many people are very enthusiastic about will necessarily take a beginner from square one to competence. I know this is true because it is how I learned Solid Edge and have in the past conducted teacher-trainer workshops across the US that got over 1,000 high schools involved in an electric vehicle design-build competition. Search the word "electrathon" and you will find hundreds of high school web sites from schools, a great many of whom were my students years past.

If anyone is interested in this, please let me know.
Thank you. Your community does great work.