GSoC '18: CM Project Thread

Contributions from the participants, questions and answers to their projects.
Discussions of proposals for upcoming events.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
yorik
Founder

Re: GSoC '18: CM Project Thread

Post by yorik »

looo wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:39 amAlso I do not see much sense in in this action. For freecad it is much more benefit, if we have control over pivy... So if possible use sources from GitHub.
It seems there are still active people behind coin, this is a good thing... I'm not sure I fully agree with you about being better for FreeCAD if we "own" our version of pivy, because what would be really good is for it to spread out and be used by more projects, so it has more chances to keep maintained and packed.
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

yorik wrote:I'm not sure I fully agree with you about being better for FreeCAD if we "own" our version of pivy, because what would be really good is for it to spread out and be used by more projects, so it has more chances to keep maintained and packed.
The problem is that applying patches to upstreamed is more work than one would expect. Especially if there is no one who really has good understanding of the library. As long as there is no real maintainer for pivy on bitbucket I think it's better to make our git-repo the official one... Please trust me, working with upstream (eg netgen) is not very efficient. In case of pivy we are lucky as we are the only users.
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

I was able to integrate the commit information in a new repo: https://bitbucket.org/Coin3D/pivy/pull- ... -qt-5/diff

It was actually fairly straightforward, just a matter of:

Code: Select all

git format-patch <hash of where the fork started>
mv *.patch ..
cd ../mercurial-repo
hg import ../*.patch
except for the several patches I had to do manually for one reason or another.

Bastiaan Veelo replied to my mailing list email about my PR in less than a day and seemed inclined to merge it, so while we can maintain our own fork as well, it seems like upstreaming changes is fairly easy to the point that there's not much need, even with my very rudimentary understanding of Mercurial.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

I don't know if this is really a smart move. But feel free to ignore me and move on to more important things.
We want to see python3-builds of freecad! :D
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

Hi all,

I summarized my GSoC 2018 work here: https://kkremitzki.github.io/blog/googl ... h-freecad/

Thank you all! I look forward to keeping on doing what I've been doing as much as I can.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

Congratulations! Our GSoC student has i guess graduated (again)! ;)

P.S. Maybe you could outline the Py3/Qt5 related work done for PPA somewhere. Likely you plan to be more involved in the PPA effort in the future but other PPA maintainers usually value in-depth knowledge exchange in this area.
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

triplus wrote: Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:45 pm Congratulations! Our GSoC student has i guess graduated (again)! ;)

P.S. Maybe you could outline the Py3/Qt5 related work done for PPA somewhere. Likely you plan to be more involved in the PPA effort in the future but other PPA maintainers usually value in-depth knowledge exchange in this area.
Yes, so unforttunately it's a bit of a mess right now stemming from issues related to this bug: https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugrepo ... bug=906020. If you look at the PPA and download the "...debian.tar.xz" file you can see more detail about what I did.

In short, libpyside2-dev and libshiboken2-dev provide a Python 2 CMake config file at, e.g. /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/cmake/PySide2-5.11.0/PySide2Config-python2.7.x86_64-linux-gnu.cmake but no corresponding Python 3 file. So, the usual way of doing a Python 3 build, by setting PYTHON_BASENAME etc., results in an error because it makes the build try to look for that missing Python 3 file.

Trying to manually set the variables while the -dev packages are present somehow still results in a mixed Python 2 & 3 build. So, I removed the build-dependency on those -dev packages and just specified e.g. libpyside2-py3-... packages. In turn, that resulted in these mixed PySide2/PyQt5 warning messages which I didn't have time to look into further.

What's strange is that none of this behavior happened when I made my first Py3/Qt5 build from source!
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Congrats Kurt! This GSOC didn't go much as planned, regarding our "community mentoring" experience, but personally I'm quite happy with what you did, the whole position of FreeCAD in the debian-based ecosystem has changed a lot, and, by contamination, hopefully in a much wider area too...
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

yorik wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:53 pmCongrats Kurt!
+1, Thanks Kurt for your work.
yorik wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:53 pm This GSOC didn't go much as planned, regarding our "community mentoring" experience
I think this is because Kurt has been mentoring the community. :)

Kurt, I hope you have time to make a post, blog, Wiki, How to make a .deb package. I know it's always different, but maybe there is some sort of outline to follow?
"fight the good fight"
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

sgrogan wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:18 pm
yorik wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:53 pmCongrats Kurt!
+1, Thanks Kurt for your work.
yorik wrote: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:53 pm This GSOC didn't go much as planned, regarding our "community mentoring" experience
I think this is because Kurt has been mentoring the community. :)

Kurt, I hope you have time to make a post, blog, Wiki, How to make a .deb package. I know it's always different, but maybe there is some sort of outline to follow?
Yes, I definitely need to distill some of that knowledge, since I want others to join me in developing on Debian Unstable; it's pretty much the 'tip' of Debian development.

I can say that this guide is probably my favorite:

https://github.com/phusion/debian-packa ... -developer