How about a change to the screen, add version number!

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
freedman

How about a change to the screen, add version number!

Postby freedman » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:35 pm

How about we put the version number in the title bar or menu bar. This way when we watch a tutorial or look at screen shots we can see the version number. I do this on some of my apps. when connected to a comm port, I display the port number. Those two lines on the screen do almost nothing, lets put it to use. Version and revision, 9 characters.
chrisb

Re: How about a change to the screen, add version number!

Postby chrisb » Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:17 pm

freedman wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:35 pm
How about we put the version number in the title bar or menu bar.
If it doesn't consume any space of the 3D window or the combo view it might be helpful. Many videos like those of Roland start with a clip of showing their FreeCAD info, but showing it permanently makes it easier to jump to some other point and still know which version it was made with.
Jee-Bee

Postby Jee-Bee » Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:13 pm

Add something like framerate somewhere below the screen. or on top bar(where the x, the square andthe - are) just beside FreeCAD App name.
NormandC

Postby NormandC » Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:47 pm

chrisb wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 7:17 pm
If it doesn't consume any space of the 3D window or the combo view it might be helpful.
The title bar already shows "FreeCAD", I believe on most operating systems. So displaying "FreeCAD 0.17.13522" instead would not consume more space vertically. I have nothing against it, although I think just showing the version number (0.17) should be enough.

Jee-Bee wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:13 pm
Add something like framerate somewhere below the screen
Can you please explain what use you have for a framerate counter. I've never understood why there is one in FreeCAD. This is a CAD program, not a first-person shooter.

If someone decides it is worthwhile to add it below the screen, I sure hope they make it optional.
Jee-Bee

Postby Jee-Bee » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:53 am

NormandC wrote:
Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:47 pm
Can you please explain what use you have for a framerate counter. I've never understood why there is one in FreeCAD. This is a CAD program, not a first-person shooter.

If someone decides it is worthwhile to add it below the screen, I sure hope they make it optional.
Only reason i guess it is there is performance checking. The optional part is why i was also refereing to fps counter that's optional too.
freedman

Postby freedman » Mon Jun 04, 2018 3:02 pm

Thanks,
Got a feature request.