microsoft buys github

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
looo
Veteran

Re: microsoft buys github

Post by looo »

Would be nice to see a lot of stars here:
https://github.com/1995parham/github-do-not-ban-us

This is a clear sign from microsoft telling us why we can not trust them.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

looo wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:20 am This is a clear sign from microsoft telling us why we can not trust them.
Come on guys, really give the blame where it is due, as much as I like to hate MS, it's government restrictions, sanctions ...it's the law. There is not much they can do about it.

Without going into the right and wrongs of each case/country/sanction you can not blame a USA company for doing what the USA government forces them to do.

I once looked up the legislation within Australia regarding breaching UN or Australian sanctions, almost all Australian sanctions at least at that time were simply the UN sanctions of the time. The Australian federal government's web site said that the fine for "knowingly or recklessly" breaching a UN sanction was 150% of the total value of the trade! Note it's "knowingly or recklessly" breaching, so not checking the country/IP address is an example that definitely comes within "recklessly".

My point about the USA and its sanctions is the way they force the rest of the world to comply without going via the UN or anything else. Nearly all world trade touches on USA banks or at the very least so much does that no non-USA bank can afford to be cut off from the USA banking system. So the USA puts out sanctions that say something along the lines that all USA banks are not allowed to have any dealings with any foreign bank that does not comply with the USA sanctions. Its things like that that make me really frustrated. Its not an anti USA rant but a justified anger at an inappropriate application of power, an abuse of power.

The big question for you people in the USA is "what exactly does the sanctions say?" If no money is involved, like free open source software does the sanctions actually truly apply? Maybe they still do but maybe not, it depends on the details.
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

jmaustpc wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:50 am Come on guys, really give the blame where it is due, as much as I like to hate MS, it's government restrictions, sanctions ...it's the law. There is not much they can do about it.
For sure you are right. But does it matter if I blame an us dependent company or us governant directly? I guess by doing the first open source communities can have more impact on the latter... (assuming Microsoft cares about open source)
vesema3

Post by vesema3 »

It seems (to me) that M$ wants to fork a lot of open-source projects ;).
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

looo wrote: Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:41 am For sure you are right. But does it matter if I blame an us dependent company or us governant directly? I guess by doing the first open source communities can have more impact on the latter... (assuming Microsoft cares about open source)
These "special countries" have existed in the US EAR regulations for some time. I can't find any "Advisory Opinion" or "Guidance" that suggests change in policy.
As the US enters a presidential election cycle big tech is in the politicians sights (rightly so IMPO re privacy). So maybe M$ is doing this out of an abundance of caution or maybe they have been privately been threatened with an enforcement action. I have seen on-line that M$ is in discussions with the US gov regarding this matter.

In general Open Source Software is not subject to these regulations. I wonder if the FSF or similar has any guidance.
"fight the good fight"
PrzemoF
Veteran

Post by PrzemoF »

I think it's a good idea to set up official mirror of FreeCAD repo on gitlab...
https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/workflow/rep ... oring.html
david69
Veteran

Post by david69 »

jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

PrzemoF wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:56 am I think it's a good idea to set up official mirror of FreeCAD repo on gitlab...
https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/workflow/rep ... oring.html
Why? its got the same limitation according to wikipedia

see towards the end of the history section
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GitLab#History

GitLab moved from Microsoft Azure to Google Cloud Platform in August 11, 2018, which made the service inaccessible to users in Crimea, Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, and Syria, due to sanctions imposed by Office of Foreign Assets Control of the United States.
Is there anyone who is based in Europe?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compariso ... facilities
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

PrzemoF wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:56 am I think it's a good idea to set up official mirror of FreeCAD repo on gitlab...
There is one already, since quite some time... https://gitlab.com/freecad/FreeCAD
Cyril

Post by Cyril »

jmaustpc wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:58 pmIs there anyone who is based in Europe?
Of course. Many forum's user are based in Europe as testified by the number of «Forums in other languages» sections. I am pretty sure you are aware of that so can you precise what you have in mind ?
I blog about HVAC / BIM / Energy : pythoncvc.net. If you like you can follow the RSS feed.