Touch screen hardware for FreeCAD

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
dcapeletti

Touch screen hardware for FreeCAD

Post by dcapeletti »

Estimates,
I would like to know if FreeCAD can run on this touch screen tablet PC https://puri.sm/products/librem-11/
We currently need to bring FreeCAD to the field and we need a touch screen computer to interact with the models.
Since FreeCAD does not support Android, and if it can run correctly on that computer, I think this is the best way to go until you have support for Android.

Greetings
bitacovir
Veteran

Re: Touch screen hardware for FreeCAD

Post by bitacovir »

If you just need to visualise a model in a tablet there is an Open Cascade app for Android.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... dassistant

I do not think that a tablet can run a full PC CAD software
::bitacovir::
==================
One must be absolutely modern.
Arthur Rimbaud (A Season in Hell -1873)

Canal Youtube Grupo Telegram de FreeCAD Español

My personal web site
My GitHub repository
Mini Airflow Tunnel Project
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

This is no ordinary tablet. It comes with an Intel Core M processor. It seems that it's part of the Intel Core family, just below i3, i5 and i7.

So this is amd64 compatible architecture, in theory there is no reason why FreeCAD could not run on this laptop/tablet.
Serie 09

Post by Serie 09 »

I run freecad on a toshiba z20t-c 11c.
It has a m7 processor. I run debian stretch with gnome on it.
freecad 0.17 runs perfectly smooth so far. but havn't tested bigger models yet. As m7 is said to be just slightly better than m5, i guess u are good to go (debending on your model size).

btw: wouldn recommend toshiba z20t to linux users unless u dont need sound and lte. Also its sharp edge under the heels of your hand makes it unconfortable (design fault; i glued something to it)
dcapeletti

Post by dcapeletti »

dcapeletti wrote: Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:58 am Estimates,
I would like to know if FreeCAD can run on this touch screen tablet PC https://puri.sm/products/librem-11/
We currently need to bring FreeCAD to the field and we need a touch screen computer to interact with the models.
Since FreeCAD does not support Android, and if it can run correctly on that computer, I think this is the best way to go until you have support for Android.

Greetings
Not only do I need to see it, but we will also create special freecad macros to work with these models. We want to integrate FreeCAD into our farm models, and integrate it with our database and farm sensors.
Serie 09 wrote: Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:19 pm I run freecad on a toshiba z20t-c 11c.
It has a m7 processor. I run debian stretch with gnome on it.
freecad 0.17 runs perfectly smooth so far. but havn't tested bigger models yet. As m7 is said to be just slightly better than m5, i guess u are good to go (debending on your model size).

btw: wouldn recommend toshiba z20t to linux users unless u dont need sound and lte. Also its sharp edge under the heels of your hand makes it unconfortable (design fault; i glued something to it)
The model is a bit complex, they're farm sheds. A farm has 20 pig sheds, we need to have a model of each shed. Our intention is not to load the 20 sheds in a file, but to write a macro so that freecad opens the indicated sheds when the user wants it. In this way, the model is simplified.

I'm interested in that equipment. You installed the Debian system yourself? How do you move the camera on the touch screen? I think the best way to touch screen, rotate the camera or zoom in is Open inventor. Right?
Thank you
Serie 09

Post by Serie 09 »

When doing freecad, I use the device with keyboard and mouse. I have no idea how one can handle freecad just with touch screen.
I thought _you_ would know :D haha
What brings me to a further major downer of the z20t: is has no middle mouse button :( .
Oh. and yes. I installed debian myself . Runs out of the box (but i used an installer that has unfree drivers).
Allready mentioned downers according to debian on my device (didn't test ubuntu or else):
• no sound over internal sound-speakers after waking up from suspend. sound over bluetooth, hdmi, and headset still works. After reeboot sound also works on the internal speekers.
• cant get lte-modem to work.
• device "just" lasts maximum 8 hours on battery maybe even less.

Oh on more downer on the device itsself: the screen is very bright. good to read during the day or even daylight. But in a dark room it just too bright (even when dimming it to minimum and using redshift).
Some people think the screen doesn't open wide enough. for me its fine.
(maybe i should do a youtube review of this device as all the other reviews didn't mention all those faults) :?

Main reason I chose this device: It has a pointing stick. A must have that reduces the number of available laptops very much.

If you want to know more, don't resist to ask.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

dcapeletti wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:39 pm How do you move the camera on the touch screen? I think the best way to touch screen, rotate the camera or zoom in is Open inventor. Right?
OpenInventor requires Shift + Left mouse button to select objects. I think it's not really suited.

The Gesture navigation style was designed specifically for touch screens. It also works great with a mouse, it's what I've been using for the past few months (with a mouse, so I can't provide feedback on its use with a touchscreen).

See https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Mouse_M ... 28v0.16.29

BTW, the Navigation Indicator at the bottom right of the FreeCAD window allows quick switching between navigation styles.
https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Release ... 17#General
dcapeletti

Post by dcapeletti »

Thank you for the information. We'll see if the company buys the librem 11 tablet, I think it will work perfectly.
I think I could try a remote vnc connection with any tablet and try gesture mode. I'll be briefing you.

Greetings
Serie 09

Post by Serie 09 »

NormandC wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:55 pm[...] so I can't provide feedback on its use with a touchscreen [...]
I hv 0.17 stable appimg. All I can do with gesture-navigation-style on touchscreen is rotate. with a pen I can also center the view. But nothing else.
All the other gestures do not work. (in other programs multitouch does work)
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

NormandC wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:55 pm The Gesture navigation style was designed specifically for touch screens.
I use Gesture with a touch pad (on a Mac), which is basically a small horizontal version of a touch screen. It works excellent.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.