Please integrate new features into old tools like loft and sweep

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
freecad-heini-1
Veteran

Please integrate new features into old tools like loft and sweep

Post by freecad-heini-1 »

Guten Tag,
last days I played a bit around to design complex mold inserts for injection molding. One task is to create parting planes.
I can say that Freecad is very powerful in designing such things. With split / slice, the Surface workbench and boolean operations I'm able to create complex parting planes. From my point of view Freecad plays in the same high level like the Top5 cad systems concerning mold design. I'm really impressed. I think about to create a demo video to show how powerful Freecad is concerning this matter.

I'm a friend from Lattice2 sublink. It creates copy from faces and edges, and they are full parametric.
The bad thing, Loft ignores this nice features.
Copy from edges are Lattice2 "subelements" If I convert they to joincurve Loft accept it.

For example, I copied these edges to create a loft face:
parting_plane_loft_2.png
parting_plane_loft_2.png (170.25 KiB) Viewed 1007 times
The result should look like this:
parting_plane_loft_1.png
parting_plane_loft_1.png (109.11 KiB) Viewed 1007 times
Loft is much better than ruled face for such operations, but it didn't accept sublink features.

My wish is to modernise tools like Loft and Sweep that new features are useable.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Best regards
Wilfried
freecad-heini-1
Veteran

Re: Please integrate new features into old tools like loft and sweep

wmayer wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:08 pm git commit b2cefc460
git commit 561be082
Thank you so much Werner. 8-)
shaise

Post by shaise »

freecad-heini-1 wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:22 am I think about to create a demo video to show how powerful Freecad is concerning this matter.
Yes, please! A video on that will be nice.
Thanks!
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

freecad-heini-1 wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:22 am For example, I copied these edges to create a loft face:
(...)
This does not seem possible to me. The outer edges generated from the start profile (the green selected edges at the top) to the end profile (the selected edges at the bottom) should be straight, not rounded. Wouldn't a boundary surface tool be better suited here? As far as I know you can already do this with the Surface workbench, and the result is parametric.

Otherwise, to get a Loft with the orange patch in your picture, the Loft tool would need to support guide rails.
freecad-heini-1
Veteran

NormandC wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 6:55 pm
freecad-heini-1 wrote: Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:22 am For example, I copied these edges to create a loft face:
(...)
This does not seem possible to me. The outer edges generated from the start profile (the green selected edges at the top) to the end profile (the selected edges at the bottom) should be straight, not rounded. Wouldn't a boundary surface tool be better suited here? As far as I know you can already do this with the Surface workbench, and the result is parametric.

Otherwise, to get a Loft with the orange patch in your picture, the Loft tool would need to support guide rails.
Hi Normand,
my question is, why is subelement from Lattice2 workbench sublink not supported with the part wb Loft tool?
JoinCurve from the curves wb is supported.

Here a video for you:
https://peertube.mastodon.host/videos/w ... 9ba2ab23ca

Best regards
Wilfried