Cura Plugin

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
TheMarkster

Re: Cura Plugin

Postby TheMarkster » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:13 pm

lemonbug wrote:
Tue Aug 28, 2018 2:36 pm
Thanks, just sticking to my SD card for now.
I wouldn't print directly from the computer anyway if that was what you were after.
chrisb

Postby chrisb » Tue Aug 28, 2018 6:12 pm

The current Cura has so many parameters, that it does not seem sensible to do more than use a certain profile from the FreeCAD side. To me it seems to be better to get it working from the other side: Open FreeCAD files directly in Cura and select an object if more than one exists.
DeepSOIC

Postby DeepSOIC » Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:06 pm

I sometimes want to see Slic3r integrated into FreeCAD. The reason, I am often making a multi-solid design with a purpose of having different print settings for different areas of my part. Every time I update the design, I have to redo all solid-specific parameters in slic3r, it is sometimes extremely boring. If only I could associate slic3r settings to a body... permanently...
HarryGeier

Postby HarryGeier » Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:03 am

i tried all of these integrations over time and still the only real way : create a mesh from the object and export it as stl to re-import into any slicer prog. I use standard mesh as thisgave best results, also i have better results with create mesh -> export,l than save as STL directly.

Today´s Slicers have far to much parameters and possibilities as that it would make sense to integrate one of them . Many params and options need visual inspection inside the slicer anyway.
Kaum macht man´s richtig , gehts´s
My Video Tutorials on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoe3B ... p8Q/videos
My FreeCAD Stuff on Hidrive: https://my.hidrive.com/share/qr3l1yddy6#$/
nemesis

Postby nemesis » Sun Sep 02, 2018 12:43 pm

HarryGeier wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 10:03 am
i tried all of these integrations over time and still the only real way : create a mesh from the object and export it as stl to re-import into any slicer prog. I use standard mesh as thisgave best results, also i have better results with create mesh -> export,l than save as STL directly.

Today´s Slicers have far to much parameters and possibilities as that it would make sense to integrate one of them . Many params and options need visual inspection inside the slicer anyway.
Quite agree but maybe it could be interesting to have the ability of importing slicing parameters from a slicer (Cura or Slic3r ...) and use it in a standard way.
From my hobbyist point of view I only use 3 to 4 profile, and only play with density or layer height.
so even if as hobbyist I don't care about switching from one software to another, if we imagine a professional situation, it could be interesting to use only freecad.
I often use freeCAD to define personal support for bridges, for example. now 0.17 I use different bodies for my part and for manufacturing help (support or bed contact)
so imagining a WB that can know which body is the part and which one is a support (or what ever) could be interesting.

I definitely need to learn python :lol:
Jee-Bee

Postby Jee-Bee » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:21 pm

It would be great if ultimaker self would create and maintain a addon for FreeCAD