Community Extras PPA Announcement & Support Thread: IfcOpenShell, Gmsh 4, freecad-doc translations & more!

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
m0n5t3r

Re: Community Extras PPA Announcement & Support Thread: IfcOpenShell, Gmsh 4, freecad-doc translations & more!

Post by m0n5t3r »

oh, so we maintain the whole source tree instead of just the packaging? that's ... weird

I'll do it one of these days, I'll have to figure out how it works (and I dread making yet another online account somewhere)
kkremitzki
Veteran

Re: Community Extras PPA Announcement & Support Thread: IfcOpenShell, Gmsh 4, freecad-doc translations & more!

Post by kkremitzki »

It's a good idea to keep a copy of the source around somewhere so that upstream outages don't cause you problems. It's not universal for Debian packaging, but for convenience's sake it's frequently used, especially per Science Team packaging guidelines (but not, say, Qt/KDE Team.) The master branch is the packaging branch in this case, but we also have an upstream branch and a pristine-tar branch; so on a new upstream release after it gets imported into the upstream branch that branch is then merged into master. But the builds compare hashes to make sure you haven't accidentally modified something outside the debian/ directory.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
m0n5t3r

Post by m0n5t3r »

yeah, I'm used to adding "debian uupdate" if it doesn't exist in debian/watch, running uscan, then working on the new source tree / package; in that context, dpkg-source will compare the source tree with .orig files and complain if it has changed and there is no patch; I'll try to figure this out over the week-end.

I assume it's okay to drop the python2 package? I mean, it is probably possible to abuse debian/rules and build the thing twice, but freecad is python3 now, 2 is being deprecated everywhere...
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

Yeah, Python 3 only going forward is fine.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.