Ship WB problems and it's future in core (0.18)

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Ship WB problems and it's future in core (0.18)

Post by chrisb »

Can you tell from using very simple data which one is right? I would guess that python3 has received improvements. If the results are better there would be no need to search further.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
thschrader
Veteran

Post by thschrader »

@looo:
Is it possible for you to add ship-weights (ship, engines, tanks, see tutorial)
and plot the stability curve?
Please see here:
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 2&start=10
Thomas
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

chrisb wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:24 pm Can you tell from using very simple data which one is right? I would guess that python3 has received improvements. If the results are better there would be no need to search further.
I don't know which one is the right one. I compared the data from the table and it looks like there are only differences in the last row. The plots are scaled so it looks like all data is different, but it's only the last one which differs.

Maybe some integer division is involved...

thschrader wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:12 pm Is it possible for you to add ship-weights (ship, engines, tanks, see tutorial)
and plot the stability curve?
I created a tank, but wasn't able to add point-weights.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

looo wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:19 pm Btw.: @triplus What about adding external plot and ship to the next py3-appimage? I think it's time for some testing.
Shouldn't that already work by using the PIP-Tools?
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

triplus wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:07 am Shouldn't that already work by using the PIP-Tools?
yes you are right. But I guess forcing it to be included will give more testers. But I guess such changes are not good for the update-mechanism... So yes tell the testers to use the pip-tools.
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

regarding the difference of the plots:
The problem is caused by rounding some values. The bounding box which is used for the computation sets it's values with a little function which uses the default values for the number of decimals. Because of a problem I have encountered previously there were some changes made by me to not use the rounding for this part of the computation. So I guess the plot on the right (py3) is more correct and maybe there are more issues like these in the code.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

looo wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:27 pm But I guess forcing it to be included will give more testers.
I somehow doubt that. ;)
But I guess such changes are not good for the update-mechanism... So yes tell the testers to use the pip-tools.
There i guess still is a problem of not enough users using Py3 builds. And therefore solutions such as PIP-Tools are still limited to rather small potential group of end users.
regarding the difference of the plots:
The problem is caused by rounding some values. The bounding box which is used for the computation sets it's values with a little function which uses the default values for the number of decimals. Because of a problem I have encountered previously there were some changes made by me to not use the rounding for this part of the computation. So I guess the plot on the right (py3) is more correct and maybe there are more issues like these in the code.
That explains it.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

looo wrote:
Can I assign issue #3607 to you?
(if so do you have an account on the tracker? and if so but it's not a 'Developer' account, can you PM @kkremitzki to elevate your privileges?)
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

looo wrote:
I've opened a ticket on https://github.com/FreeCAD/freecad.ship/issues/6 to track issue #3607
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs