Maybe a better GUI workflow, no code changes, much less tab switching

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
freedman
Veteran

Maybe a better GUI workflow, no code changes, much less tab switching

Post by freedman »

Here is a way to get Tree and Tasks working together without tab switching. Goto View-Panels and enable Tree view and Combo view. Put the Tree view far Left and overlay the Combo view over the Tree view (see pic and file) to conserve space. Keep the Task tab selected in the Combo view unless you need to adjust properties.

What you get from this is a smooth operating design experience, most all clicks are related to getting work done instead of tab switching all the time. Some key things to notice; FreeCAD does most of the switching between panels anyway so having these two windows overlapping does no harm, I think it takes less effort to design. What do you think?

I know sometimes the windows pop full screen but you get used to knowing where not to click. Also, it might be a bit more effort to adjust properties, that might be a good thing. You do lose maybe 5% of the modeling area but alot of it is over-lapping, I think it's worth it to see all the extra data. I attached a file so hopefully you can open it and try it. :)

Maybe this is just an example for the GUI update.
Attachments
tree_combo.FCStd
(19.75 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
combo_tree3.JPG
combo_tree3.JPG (86.89 KiB) Viewed 775 times
Last edited by freedman on Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: Maybe a better GUI workflow, no code changes, much less tab switching

Post by Kunda1 »

This discussion which a large portion is IMHO essentially regarding 'scarcity of screen real-estate' reminds me of ickby's awesome proof of concept frameless UI
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=23053

Though there are bigger fish to fry, this is still an amazing goal to achieve.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

As long as it's configurable I don't really mind, but even in your image it seems to be rather 10% which you loose and not 5%. Many of the users have FreeCAD installed on laptops where space is a very valuable thing.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
polymer

Post by polymer »

Kunda1 wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:24 pm This discussion which a large portion is IMHO essentially regarding 'scarcity of screen real-estate' reminds me of ickby's awesome proof of concept frameless UI
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=23053

Though there are bigger fish to fry, this is still an amazing goal to achieve.
This Is great!!!!!!
Could it be integrated in the near future again?
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

I updated the pic to show that it really isn't that much of the screen, thanks chrisb.

I want to say this screen setup should be used for the beginner that needs to see how things work but the floating windows are rather fragile. I don't know any way to lock the floating windows (tree and combo) in place.