SF hosted app retairement & call for help

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jriegel
Site Admin

SF hosted app retairement & call for help

Postby jriegel » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:32 pm

So,
finally, after bug reports an some hassle with sf.net, I was able to make a backup of our main hosted apps (mediawiki, phpbb, MantisBT).
The files are on our download area under FreeCAD Documentation:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/free-c ... mentation/

Thats a big relive for me! Loosing all that stuff would be nightmare!!
The only thing not working so far are the attached files of MantisBT (pictures and patches). But I think we can live without that.....

Also sf.net ask me to link my account to an OpenID, so I think we get progress there. So I think finally we are ready to move our stuff
to the project web-space. So IMO the next steps should be (open to discussion):

1. Creating a Landing-Page in our Web-space at sf.net (http://free-cad.sf.net)
2. Setting up a new Version of mediawiki, PhpBB and MantisBT on free-cad.sf.net
3. Importing the old data
4. OpenID plugin for using the sf.net account and mapping old user-names
5. Installing long missed plugins (e.g. code highlighting in mediawiki)
6. Multi language feature of mediawiki ?
7. final update of data and killing the link to the hosted apps

Since I would like to spend my time budget to coding (Naming, Assembly) I would ask one (or more) of you guys to help out on this migration.
Also I would ask Yorik to oversee the migration, since he did this amazing moding of mediawiki without really have access to the application.
Stop whining - start coding!
wmayer
Site Admin

Re: SF hosted app retairement & call for help

Postby wmayer » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:45 pm

The only thing not working so far are the attached files of MantisBT (pictures and patches). But I think we can live without that.....
Really? IMO most of the attached files are needed to understand better what the report is about and it's a huge hassle to work this out again without the attachments. Is there no way to access the MySql database directly and doing a dump there?
jriegel
Site Admin

Postby jriegel » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:52 pm

I got the SQL dump, but the pictures and patches are saved as files and not in the DB. The script says permission denied, the same
when I try to access via shell directly...

I can do a bug report again and see....
jriegel
Site Admin

Postby jriegel » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:59 pm

Ok,
did bug report:

https://sourceforge.net/p/forge/site-support/1365/

will see. Last time it took 3 moths... ;)
yorik
Site Admin

Postby yorik » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:21 pm

I believe the attached file are not in the database but in some "upload" folder inside the mantis folders... (that's the way most web apps such as wordpress, etc... work). Indeed without access to that, there is probably no way to get them but download manually. But maybe if we split all the open bugs between ourselves, it would not be too much work to download all attached files manually. There are about 100 open bugs I think, between 5 people that would be only 20 bugs to check/person...

Either way, I think that would be the same for the wiki. The attached files won't be part of the backup... But on the wiki there are tricks, we can generate a list of all attached files, then run a script that fetches the all.

One thing is, I believe we must close all 3 software for editing, before doing the final backup and migration, to make sure we have the latest data and nobody continues editing after. But at the moment some people are in a real wiki-edit frenzy ;) and I'm also finishing the Arch module documentation for 0.13... Shouldn't we first release 013, then close the wiki and mantis?

In the meantime, I can take care of the landing page already, and we can, I think, already install the 3 softwares.

Jürgen, did you already install mediawiki? I see there is a 1.19.1 version uploaded there, but not configured yet. There is now a 1.19.2 version available, can I upgrade? There seems to be a wiki database in freecad's SF database too, but it looks old to me... I' think it's best to wipe that all out and start fresh (It's also full of spam, probably remains of an old install)...

Notes for self:
install mediawiki on SF: http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:In ... eForge.net
upgrade an existing mediawiki: http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Upgrading
mrlukeparry

Postby mrlukeparry » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:32 pm

I am just wondering if the backup files should be kept hidden from public view?

I have experience in web design, programming, so I don't mind helping out with any specific web programming if it's needed.
jriegel
Site Admin

Postby jriegel » Sun Nov 04, 2012 4:37 pm

mrlukeparry wrote:I am just wondering if the backup files should be kept hidden from public view?
Why? I consider the documentation also as OpenSource. And the passwords are not included (at least I think :? )

Thanks for the offer. I think every help is needed if we move finally!
NormandC

Postby NormandC » Sun Nov 04, 2012 5:04 pm

I'm not really a technical person as you already know but I'm willing to help out in my capacity (and I can follow instructions pretty well ;) ) Dowloading and restoring the Mantis attachments seems simple enough, as well as for MediaWiki.
danielfalck

Postby danielfalck » Sun Nov 04, 2012 6:17 pm

I can help too. I keep an eye on this forum and am also on IRC at #freecad on freenode, if one wants to ping me there.
yorik
Site Admin

Postby yorik » Sun Nov 04, 2012 9:19 pm

Ok, first test for the homepage: http://free-cad.sourceforge.net/test/
Still need better background and slideshow images of course, and I'll add more effects here and there, but it's a start... Any feedback / suggestion already?
I tried to stay in the line we discussed earlier (1. What is it, 2. What does it look like, 3. How do I get it)

If someone has cool images to submit for the slideshow, send me! (800x300px). Ideally I'd like that slideshow to show typical examples of freecad workflow... I'll also add a placeholder for the image author, so people can submit images and have their names appear there too...