SF hosted app retairement & call for help

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
yorik
Site Admin

Re: SF hosted app retairement & call for help

Postby yorik » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:57 pm

no problem, actually it might be better... After soem time we could then simply remove that section from the homepage, and simply each translated page goes to its equivalent table of contents...
NormandC

Postby NormandC » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:09 am

I again haven't been able to connect reliably to the wiki tonight, with for the first time a few 503 Service unavailable or 500 Internal Server errors. When I get access, it's after an inordinate amount of time (60 to 120 seconds to load a page). It's unworkable.

We're talking every night from 23:00 to 04:00 GMT.

I hate to say it, but someone has to. I don't think this host will cut it. We need 24/7 reliable access from anywhere in the world, and obviously this host can't provide it. Seriously if we migrate the forum on it as well, it's going to be hell.
NormandC

Postby NormandC » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:01 am

The wiki is back to normal speeds as of 6 minutes ago, right now it's 04:00 GMT.
NormandC

Postby NormandC » Wed Apr 10, 2013 5:06 am

I made some more translation work tonight.
  • Added translate tags to Online Help Startpage and marked it for translation
  • Salvaged all translated content for most translations except those that do not show (japanese, chinese, ?)
  • Looked at how we can switch the "north sami" in the languages menu bar to "swedish". From what I understand the only way is to rename all pages with /se subfix to /sv. Problem is, for pages marked for translation, it is no more possible to rename them. :|
  • I created a new "svenska" (swedish) translation for Main_Page. As I thought this created a new Main_Page/sv page, and now the language menu bar shows Swedish... But it shows North Sami too. I think we can only delete it.
I think this means that we need to rename all the pages with /se suffix to /sv, and this has to be done *before* we start to mark the bulk of the English pages for translation, otherwise we're screwed! For now only a few pages are marked, so it is not so bad.

The whole conversion of translated pages will require a tremendous amount of work, but I don't see a way to make it faster... Tonight, just marking a single English page for translation then updating the 9 visible translations took me almost an hour. For a single page with not much content. :?

Thoughts?
yorik
Site Admin

Postby yorik » Wed Apr 10, 2013 12:25 pm

I also think it'll take much time, but I don't see any easier way, except leave everything like it was before, but that would not be a wise move in the long run.

Maybe by dividing tasks it wouldn't be too much work. Most translations stick closely to the english original, so it'll be mostly a matter of cut-and-pasting.

We should also write a kind of "howto" to explain to translators what they must do (not that it is very complicated). I think we (you, me + everyone else interested) can take care of adding the <translate> and <language> tags to all pages...
yorik
Site Admin

Postby yorik » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:42 pm

We have been exchanging a couple of emails with SF people (looks like freecad is considered an important project now!) and as a result, the freecad SF project has been migrated to the new platform:
https://sourceforge.net/p/free-cad/code/ci/master/tree/

For the time being, all the hosted apps continue to work, they still have no idea when this will change...

Important: the current GIT repo has become read-only. If you currently have the SF repo in your git remotes, you must change its url like this:

Code: Select all

git remote set-url origin <newurl>
where <newurl> is:
- if you are accessing the repo as read-only: git://git.code.sf.net/p/free-cad/code
- if you have write permission: get a "RW" url specially customized for you from the project page above

if your SF repo is not called "origin" you must change by the name it has for you (Type "git remote -v" to see all your remotes).

After that, do a "git update" to sync with the new URL and all will work like before.
mario52

Postby mario52 » Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:58 pm

Bonjour
yorikvanhavre wrote:I also think it'll take much time, but I don't see any easier way, except leave everything like it was before, but that would not be a wise move in the long run.

Maybe by dividing tasks it wouldn't be too much work. Most translations stick closely to the english original, so it'll be mostly a matter of cut-and-pasting.

We should also write a kind of "howto" to explain to translators what they must do (not that it is very complicated). I think we (you, me + everyone else interested) can take care of adding the <translate> and <language> tags to all pages...
Please all the procedure in good French, what to do... ;)
is that the translations that I have made with the shots and everything will be replaced by the translation of the page English?

SVP toute la procédure à suivre en bon français, de ce qu'il faut faire . . . ;)
est ce que les traductions que j'ai faites avec les prises de vues et tout le reste vont être remplacés par la traduction de la page anglaise ?

mario
Maybe you need a special feature, go into Macros_recipes and Code_snippets, Topological_data_scripting, Dialog creation. My macros on Gist.github.
wmayer
Site Admin

Postby wmayer » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:10 pm

Important: the current GIT repo has become read-only. If you currently have the SF repo in your git remotes, you must change its url like this:
In my .git folder I have directly edited the file "config" and this seemed to work fine, too.
After that, do a "git update" to sync with the new URL and all will work like before.
That doesn't seem to work:
$ git update
git: 'update' is not a git command. See 'git --help'.

Did you mean this?
update-ref
We have been exchanging a couple of emails with SF people (looks like freecad is considered an important project now!) and as a result, the freecad SF project has been migrated to the new platform:
And the *goodie* is that you can't switch to any of the listed branches :evil: But at least it works when clicking on the "Browse Commits" button to see the diffs of the commits -- even of the branches.

EDIT: The problem seems to be if the branch name contains slashes because I guess these are handled as path separators and thus the generated URL doesn't exist. Branches without slashes work fine.
yorik
Site Admin

Postby yorik » Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:42 pm

wmayer wrote:That doesn't seem to work:
Sorry, it was git remote update. but git pull will do too.
wmayer wrote:And the *goodie* is that you can't switch to any of the listed branches :evil:
word censored... i wasn't believing everything would go without problems. But at least they still work in the local repo when you clone it.
I'll see if Dan Falck can update his automatic SF->github script so at least we can browse branches from there...
NormandC

Postby NormandC » Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:40 am

It is 02:39 GMT and it takes more than 4 minutes to display a page on the wiki. Like every damn night.

Has the web host been contacted about this problem? Seriously. Last night I had to wait until midnight to get to work. This is past my bedtime.

I'm about to give up on the wiki altogether, it's too frustrating.