Quoting; was: FreeCAD Website Design

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
NormandC
Veteran

Quoting; was: FreeCAD Website Design

Post by NormandC »

EDIT by chrisb: I have split this topic from https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 79#p263479

Please avoid quoting whole replies. It contributes nothing useful to a topic and only serves to make the topic needlessly longer. We do not need to see what someone wrote twice (or more), along with the people they quoted. Since you replied immediately after the other person's reply, no quoting was necessary. Otherwise, please only quote the relevant part of a reply. Thank you.
kkremitzki
Veteran

Re: FreeCAD Website Design

Post by kkremitzki »

NormandC wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:47 pm Please avoid quoting whole replies. It contributes nothing useful to a topic and only serves to make the topic needlessly longer. We do not need to see what someone wrote twice (or more), along with the people they quoted. Since you replied immediately after the other person's reply, no quoting was necessary. Otherwise, please only quote the relevant part of a reply. Thank you.
Did you mistakenly post this? A reply at 4:44 PM to a post at 5:10 AM is not immediate. I can appreciate wanting people to edit excessive quotes, but I don't appreciate you appointing yourself to this crusade when it hardly seems appropriate in this case, and in itself does not contribute anything useful to the topic which you yourself decry.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

And you're doing it YET AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :roll: :roll: :roll:

Okay, so my first language is not English as you know, so I grant you that "immediately" was not the right word. But your reply was RIGHT AFTER the above, just like your latest reply was!

So explain to me, why exactly do you deem it absolutely necessary to quote my reply in its entirety when it can be read just above your post? What do you bring to the topic at hand by repeating word for word what was just replied above?!?!? The answer is simply NOTHING.

What you contribute is useless repeats that everybody needs to wade through.

And yes, I will continue doing my crusade until you and others understand my point and just STOP QUOTING NEEDLESSLY.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
saso
Veteran

Post by saso »

I do wonder how much of your 16835 posts is just bothering people with useless word censored like this... The forum is for people to have discussions and they should be able to discuss in what ever way they are able to understand each other and explain their views and ideas. I find it hard to understand how liberal some of your views are but how close mined you are on other. The discussion we have here are not some kind of documentation that would need this level of strictness... The thing that bothers me however most is that some moderators are happily following your lead.
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

Whether a reply is immediately below another post or on a different page depends on per-user pagination settings.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Quoting; was: FreeCAD Website Design

Post by chrisb »

Some very personal views:
- When reading quotes and their answers it is best to have only those parts quoted, that the answer refers to; concentration on the essentials
- When using quotes it is easiest to quote the whole text, especially when e.g. start and end are important and only in the middle some things have to be omitted.
- There are more readers than writers

- I take "immediately after", "directly after", "right after" as a shortcut for a "post following with no other post in between".

- Pagebreaks can be a problem and may justify to quote more than the bare minimum.
- Long quotes create more pagebreaks. To avoid this quotes have to contain only the bare minimum.

As you can see, not all targets are on the same line.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
PrzemoF
Veteran

Post by PrzemoF »

Our forum is one on the best I've ever seen on the net. It's highly technical with minimum amount of "personal trips" and "I know better" posts. Please, keep it like that. You all contribute to FreeCAD, in on way or another - please remember about it when writing a post that might upset someone. Go for a walk, take a step back and relax.

P.S. I'm very proud of some posts I've deleted right after I wrote them. They were never posted to the forum. Maybe you should try it as well? Type, read, delete - it vents frustration.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

PrzemoF wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:25 am Our forum is one on the best I've ever seen on the net.
+1
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

PrzemoF wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:25 am
I agree. Lets take the intensity down a few notches.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

NormandC wrote: Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:15 pm And you're doing it YET AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :roll: :roll: :roll:
LOL. This is hilarious, and it's one of the only times I've seen somebody getting so angry about quoting etiquettes.
So explain to me, why exactly do you deem it absolutely necessary to quote my reply in its entirety when it can be read just above your post? ...
The reason it's important to always quote somebody else's post is because it creates a link to said post. It is not okay to assume that your reply will be right below the person you intend to talk to. That's just not reasonable. Many people are reading the forums, so anybody can reply before you. If user B replies to A, he or she may find that user C was faster so now the thread goes A --> C --> B. If B doesn't quote A, it looks like he or she is replying to C, and not to A, as was the original intention.

With that said, I agree with you that user B should not quote the entire post of A. He or she should quote only the part that is relevant to the reply. However, it seems that this forum hasn't implemented that capability. Many forums allow you to select part of the post, and quote only that part quickly. This forum only has a "quote all" button. The user needs to manually edit the quote to select only relevant parts, which is "hard work" for most users.

Also, it's strange that in this forum the quote button includes the nested quotes of the previous post, which makes the manual edition harder. Other forums quote only the previous post, and discard the nested quotes inside it.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.