Quoting; was: FreeCAD Website Design

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
bejant
Veteran

Re: Quoting; was: FreeCAD Website Design

Post by bejant »

vocx wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:34 am However, it seems that this forum hasn't implemented that capability. Many forums allow you to select part of the post, and quote only that part quickly. This forum only has a "quote all" button. The user needs to manually edit the quote to select only relevant parts, which is "hard work" for most users.
No, to quote only a portion, like I just did in this reply:
  • Click the Reply button,
  • Scroll down and swipe (select) the text you want to quote,
  • Go to the top of the post that has the text you just selected,
  • Click the button with the quote symbol at the upper right of that post.
That copies the text you selected onto the area where you compose your reply, along with some other data that will make up the text you quoted.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

bejant wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:04 am Scroll down and swipe (select) the text you want to quote,
Go to the top of the post that has the text you just selected,
Yep, that works. Thanks.

I've seen forums that have two buttons, one for "quote all", and one for "quote selected". I think that's more intuitive than this method.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

bejant wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:04 am That copies the text you selected onto the area where you compose your reply, along with some other data that will make up the text you quoted.
Wow...I did not know that. Is that supposed to be intuitive?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
PrzemoF
Veteran

Post by PrzemoF »

Kunda1 wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:07 am Wow...I did not know that. Is that supposed to be intuitive?
I tried and it really works! I didn't know that either! :shock:
bejant
Veteran

Post by bejant »

vocx wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:41 am Yep, that works. Thanks.
You're welcome.

Kunda1 wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:07 am Is that supposed to be intuitive?
PrzemoF wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:40 am I tried and it really works! I didn't know that either! :shock:
I don't know if it's supposed to be intuitive or not. I probably learned that from Norm, before Jim added the how-to in the second post of the "IMPORTANT: Please read first before asking for help" section because some people weren't quoting correctly:
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 264#p64293
So, thinking about that a bit more just now, maybe it's not very intuitive...
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

This latest twist in this thread is so ironic it is hilarious. :lol:

The quoting instructions are in the infamous red box, "IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help".

Of course those instruction are about 10x too long, especially for those whose native language is not English.

Gene
ezzieyguywuf

Post by ezzieyguywuf »

bejant wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:04 am <snip>
No, to quote only a portion, like I just did in this reply:
<snip>
That copies the text you selected onto the area where you compose your reply, along with some other data that will make up the text you quoted.
GeneFC wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 2:36 pm The quoting instructions are in the infamous red box, "IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help".
A) Didn't know about the nice, easy-to-use "quote only a part of a post" feature.
B) :oops: Admittedly, I've probably only skimmed the infamous red box post. Whoops!

So thanks bejant! And also, I do think it is helpful to include portions of relevant posts as quotes in replies.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

ezzieyguywuf wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:25 pm B) :oops: Admittedly, I've probably only skimmed the infamous red box post. Whoops!
I think that box is meant, above all, to remind users to include their FreeCAD information when asking questions. Quoting usually works the same on most forums, so most users expect it to work as they are used to already. It's the first time I see this particular quoting mechanism for quoting parts of posts.
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

vocx wrote: Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:13 pm I think that box is meant, above all, to remind users to include their FreeCAD information when asking questions.
I think you are incorrect. There is a whole list of important suggestions. Yes, FC information is often important, but many help requests would not even be necessary if, for example, people were using up-to-date versions of FC.

Gene
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

GeneFC wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:18 am I think you are incorrect. There is a whole list of important suggestions. Yes, FC information is often important, but many help requests would not even be necessary if, for example, people were using up-to-date versions of FC.

Gene
Sure, it's part of the same thing. By indicating they are using an old 0.16 version, people would immediately advise them to use a newer version. That's the best advice you can give, "make sure you are using a recent version", which is why quoting indications are disregarded.