[Ending today 5pm UTC-7] Increasing FreeCAD adoption in education - Brainstorming study

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
victorgirotto

[Ending today 5pm UTC-7] Increasing FreeCAD adoption in education - Brainstorming study

Postby victorgirotto » Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:20 pm

---

UPDATE: You still have the chance to participate in this study until Nov. 9th (and be part of a $50 amazon gift card draw). See this post for more details: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 89#p266489

Final questionnaire: https://goo.gl/forms/RAKvmB4zI51pdX3c2

---
Hi,

My name is Victor Girotto, and I’m a computer science PhD candidate at Arizona State University. I am very interested in supporting creativity in large online groups. For such I have built a system, CrowdMuse (www.crowdmuse.io), which is meant to help people generate ideas around a particular topic. While I have evaluated the system in other contexts, an important part of my research is to see how actual online communities could use and benefit from a system such as this. This is where you come in. :)

The purpose of this study is not to specifically evaluate CrowdMuse, but rather to understand the benefits and barriers that systems similar to it could bring to online communities such as this one.

How this works

Basically, all you have to do is come up with ideas towards the following topic:
“How can we increase the adoption of FreeCAD in schools and universities?”
To participate, use the CrowdMuse system: CLICK HERE

This task will be available until Friday, November 2nd. I encourage you to use the system as much as you want. There are no limits to how much you can use, but I'd ask that you try to use it well at least a couple of times throughout this week.

On the final day, I will post a link to a questionnaire asking about your experience with the system and the brainstorming task. Filling out this questionnaire is important for the compensation, as I describe below.

But here are the rules:
  • All idea generation-related tasks (i.e. generating ideas, editing them, etc.) must happen within the CrowdMuse system.
  • This thread can be used for anything the system doesn’t support (e.g. discussions, etc.)
  • This thread can also be used for any meta-posts: issues, questions, concerns, bugs, etc.
If you find any bugs, especially those that prevent you from using the system, feel free to post here or let me know. If it's a severe one I'll try fixing it asap.

Compensation

Compensation for this study will take the form of a donation to the FreeCAD project. For each person that completes the final questionnaire (and has used the system), I will donate US$5 to FreeCAD, up to a limit of $250.

Privacy

Here is all the information I’m collecting: 1) system logs; 2) final questionnaire; 3) posts within this thread. The system will not require or record any private information. It does not require the creation of an account, and there are no ads of any sort. The final questionnaire will only require the person’s username within this community as well as the ID generated by the CrowdMuse system (so that I can relate forum comments to ideas in the system). From this forum, I will only collect information from any threads created for this research.

This data will be used strictly for research purposes. If you have absolutely any concerns about privacy, I’ll be glad to answer any questions!
Consent

By using the system, completing the final questionnaire, or posting in this thread, you are agreeing to participate in this research. The information letter for this study is available here.

Best regards,

Victor Girotto
Last edited by victorgirotto on Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.
sgrogan

Re: Increasing FreeCAD adoption in education - Brainstorming study

Postby sgrogan » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:46 pm

I tried https://www.crowdmuse.io/brainstorm/fre ... neducation
I couldn't enter numbers, I wanted to tag 3D modeling, I couldn't enter the 3.
chrisb

Postby chrisb » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:52 pm

How are different users/contributors identified in the system?
sgrogan

Postby sgrogan » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:04 pm

chrisb wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:52 pm
Looks like a cookie. I got an ID in the upper right, different browser I got the new user tutorial.
victorgirotto

Postby victorgirotto » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:40 pm

sgrogan wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:46 pm
I tried https://www.crowdmuse.io/brainstorm/fre ... neducation
I couldn't enter numbers, I wanted to tag 3D modeling, I couldn't enter the 3.
Hey sgrogan,

Unfortunately that's a limitation with the current implementation. :roll: If this proves to be too much of a limitation for everyone, I can try changing it throughout the week.
victorgirotto

Postby victorgirotto » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:44 pm

chrisb wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:52 pm
Yeah, it's like sgrogan said. The system uses a cookie to keep track of your session and randomly generated username (which you can see on the top right corner of the system). If you change browsers, go anonymous, or erase your cookies it'll consider you a new user.
Kunda1

Postby Kunda1 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:05 am

typo
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
#lowhangingfruit | Use the Source, Luke. | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report FC bugs and features
bitacovir

Postby bitacovir » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:34 am

victorgirotto wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:20 pm
This task will be available until Friday, November 2nd.
I would recommend two weeks.
::bitacovir::
===================================
One must be absolutely modern.
Arthur Rimbaud (A Season in Hell -1873)

My personal web site
My GitHub repository
My old Blog
Mini Airflow Tunnel Project
yorik
Site Admin

Postby yorik » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:39 pm

victorgirotto wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:40 pm
If this proves to be too much of a limitation for everyone, I can try changing it throughout the week.
"3D" would be a pretty fundamental tag for us ;)
victorgirotto

Postby victorgirotto » Sun Oct 28, 2018 1:17 pm

Kunda1 wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:05 am
typo
I could change it on the back-end. What is it supposed to be?