[Ending today 5pm UTC-7] Increasing FreeCAD adoption in education - Brainstorming study

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
sgrogan

Re: Increasing FreeCAD adoption in education - Brainstorming study

Postby sgrogan » Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:21 pm

victorgirotto wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:37 pm
How do you usually debate new ideas in the FreeCAD community? Is there any particular process you follow?
For us it's usually long forum threads, until we either build consensus or someone "takes the bull by the horns"
Latest ongoing discussion https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=31974
I think good stuff came from this https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=26766
victorgirotto wrote:
In which ways do you think a system like CrowdMuse could benefit the FreeCAD community?
I am a big fan of the brain storming process. Perhaps our inexperience refining the ideas influences my impression that CrowdMuse didn't seem to build consensus?
victorgirotto wrote:
What do you think are some barriers for the adoption of a system like CrowdMuse in the FreeCAD community?
I'm multi-platform/multi-computer/multi-browser so the cookie approach limits me. Maybe it could be tied to the project user account?
victorgirotto

Postby victorgirotto » Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:25 am

I think good stuff came from this https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=26766
This is a VERY interesting thread! Thanks for sharing! I'd love to hear more thoughts on it. Did you feel like the brainstorm went well? Did you face any challenges during that brainstorm? Did you feel like the forum website supported the brainstorm process well?

If anyone else also has thoughts on their experience on that thread, feel free to jump in!

Perhaps our inexperience refining the ideas influences my impression that CrowdMuse didn't seem to build consensus?
Can you tell me a bit more about this?

so the cookie approach limits me. Maybe it could be tied to the project user account?
Yeah, that tracking isn't good. It's an artifact of the system being designed for running controlled studies. :(
antoniovazquezblanco

Postby antoniovazquezblanco » Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:15 pm

victorgirotto wrote:
How do you usually debate new ideas in the FreeCAD community? Is there any particular process you follow?
As already said, mainly the forums.
victorgirotto wrote:
Do you see the need for a brainstorming system like CrowdMuse in the FreeCAD community?
Yes. I am not a fan of the forum way of doing things. It is easy to forget and miss things with time. It also requires quite some work and time to keep updated.
victorgirotto wrote:
In which ways do you think a system like CrowdMuse could benefit the FreeCAD community?
In my opinion CrowdMuse is a better way to brainstorm than a linear tool such as the forums. It also helps visualize the inter-relation of many ideas throuhg the tagging system. It would be nicer if the system supported multiple tags (more than two) although it may make it more difficult to show in the matrix view. Maybe showing those ideas by tag pairs in the matrix would enable that. Also, it would be important to have a list of the most used tags so that we could see which categories have more suggestions.
victorgirotto wrote:
What do you think are some barriers for the adoption of a system like CrowdMuse in the FreeCAD community?
The tool is easy to use and multiplatform. It is not easy to find a barrier other than the inherents to the system. It requires the user to be involved in the project but other than that the tool is easy to use.
chrisb

Postby chrisb » Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:48 pm

I have two usage questions:
1) There are some squares at the right where I see the same idea twice on the left. Is this intended?
2) Can I somehow "park" an idea shown at the left, and then go through further ideas by clicking squares at the right. When I have found the appropriate idea I want to combine it with the parked idea.
sgrogan

Postby sgrogan » Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:07 am

victorgirotto wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:25 am
This is a VERY interesting thread! Thanks for sharing! I'd love to hear more thoughts on it. Did you feel like the brainstorm went well? Did you face any challenges during that brainstorm? Did you feel like the forum website supported the brainstorm process well?
I think it was our best attempt yet. The challenge is always to turn data into information. The OP (@wandererfan) is excellent at the process.
victorgirotto wrote:
Sat Nov 03, 2018 12:25 am
Can you tell me a bit more about this?
More or less the same as above. Maybe compare the spreadsheet to your grid? "No idea is a bad idea" but maybe we need some help focusing it?
victorgirotto

Postby victorgirotto » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:59 pm

antoniovazquezblanco wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:15 pm
Yes. I am not a fan of the forum way of doing things. It is easy to forget and miss things with time. It also requires quite some work and time to keep updated.
Thanks for your input! :) Can you tell me a bit more about this or maybe point me to an example of a thread where you've experienced these issues?

chrisb wrote:
Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:48 pm
I have two usage questions:
1) There are some squares at the right where I see the same idea twice on the left. Is this intended?
2) Can I somehow "park" an idea shown at the left, and then go through further ideas by clicking squares at the right. When I have found the appropriate idea I want to combine it with the parked idea.
1) It could be that one of those ideas is a refinement of the other. Are they exactly the same? If so it could be a bug.
2) You could favorite the idea you want to "park", go through other ideas and favorite the ones you want, and then open only your favorite ideas in the workspace.

sgrogan wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 12:07 am
I think it was our best attempt yet. The challenge is always to turn data into information. The OP (@wandererfan) is excellent at the process.
Thanks, I'll definitely take a look at that thread. I don't know if there's any way to tag people here, but I'd love to hear more from @wandererfan about his experience with that thread and perceptions of CrowdMuse.
chrisb

Postby chrisb » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:34 pm

Is the website already closed or did you prolong the attendance. A forum member reported not being able to participate.
victorgirotto

Postby victorgirotto » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:41 pm

chrisb wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:34 pm
Is the website already closed or did you prolong the attendance. A forum member reported not being able to participate.
It's still open. I just tested it and had no issues. Maybe the server went down for a bit? If he/she still can't access it, let me know.
victorgirotto

Re: [Ending soon] Increasing FreeCAD adoption in education - Brainstorming study

Postby victorgirotto » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:23 pm

Also would like to remind those who already used the system to fill out the final questionnaire: https://goo.gl/forms/RAKvmB4zI51pdX3c2 :)
victorgirotto

Re: [Ending today 5pm UTC-7] Increasing FreeCAD adoption in education - Brainstorming study

Postby victorgirotto » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:41 pm

Hey everyone,

Today is the last day! I'll make the donation to FreeCAD and the draw for the gift card today around 5pm UTC-7.

If you haven't participated yet, make sure to do these three things:
1 - Use the system: add new ideas, combine, refine existing ones, etc.: https://www.crowdmuse.io/brainstorm/fre ... neducation
2 - Fill out the final questionnaire about your experience: https://goo.gl/forms/RAKvmB4zI51pdX3c2
3 - Participate in the discussion in this thread (some opening questions are here)

As a reminder: for each filled out questionnaire (with matching usage of the system), I'll donate $5 for FreeCAD and enter the user into a $50 Amazon gift card raffle. :)