[Ending today 5pm UTC-7] Increasing FreeCAD adoption in education - Brainstorming study

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
kkremitzki
Veteran

Re: [Ending today 5pm UTC-7] Increasing FreeCAD adoption in education - Brainstorming study

Post by kkremitzki »

I was just in time to give this a shot, and overall, I find it quite interesting and I'm glad you decided to include us in your research.

Here are some of my responses to the questions:

How do you usually debate new ideas in the FreeCAD community? Is there any particular process you follow?

We try to aim for rough consensus, but our process proceeds very organically. If there is an issue that has some disagreement, there's so much work to be done that it isn't too difficult to set it aside for a time and come back later.

Do you see the need for a brainstorming system like CrowdMuse in the FreeCAD community?

It seems interesting as the "seeking rough consensus in the forum" process can be vulnerable to bikeshedding. However the downside is that it may require extra administrative effort and attention.

In which ways do you think a system like CrowdMuse could benefit the FreeCAD community?

See above.

What do you think are some barriers for the adoption of a system like CrowdMuse in the FreeCAD community?

See above.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
victorgirotto

Re: [Ending today 5pm UTC-7] Increasing FreeCAD adoption in education - Brainstorming study

Post by victorgirotto »

Hey kkremitzki, glad you made it in time! Really appreciate your input!
kkremitzki wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:40 pm It seems interesting as the "seeking rough consensus in the forum" process can be vulnerable to bikeshedding. However the downside is that it may require extra administrative effort and attention.
Could you (or anyone else) tell me whether you'd consider this extra effort worth it?
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

victorgirotto wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:14 pm Hey kkremitzki, glad you made it in time! Really appreciate your input!
kkremitzki wrote: Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:40 pm It seems interesting as the "seeking rough consensus in the forum" process can be vulnerable to bikeshedding. However the downside is that it may require extra administrative effort and attention.
Could you (or anyone else) tell me whether you'd consider this extra effort worth it?
I would say so, the deciding factor which could flip my answer the other way is that our sysadmin resources are limited--I would be the one to create and maintain the resource, so if I got around to doing so and, for example, saw something that suggested it would be a headache to maintain, or might have security problems, I might change my mind.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
victorgirotto

Post by victorgirotto »

Hey everyone,

I was reminded that I never announced the winner of the raffle here. It was kkremitzki! :)

Also, if you'd be interested in talking to me a bit more about CrowdMuse and how it could benefit (or not) FreeCAD, send me a PM! It'll be a 30-minute online interview this week, and I'll compensate you with a $10 amazon gift card for your time.

Thank you again to everyone who participated!

Victor