dummy-proof FreeCAD

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
abdullah
Veteran

Re: FreeCAD SUCKS!

Post by abdullah »

Jee-Bee wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:19 pm I guess he means a kind of axis. so it has no beginnig, no end but only a direction. To accomplish this you need probably 2 points as reference or one point and a angle...
If i have time i add tomorrow a creo example for this...
I personal like these axis / infinite lines... since they are more clean than normal construction lines...
Ah! Ok, I did not know such a thing even existed.

In reality nothing is infinite. Some of you even proved that in FC the axes can have a very tiny dimension. What can change is the representation, so that it seems they are infinite.

Does it really have such a big advantage as to make out of it one of the big points that would make FreeCAD so inferior as claimed?

It is something we can explore.
abdullah
Veteran

Re: FreeCAD SUCKS! No it doesn't

Post by abdullah »

sgrogan wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 8:21 pm
abdullah wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:32 pm 2) I also do not know what you refer to with the side of a line.
This is probably the switching, 2 solution issue.
So, are there other solutions that allow to specify the side of a line so as to prevent flipping? How would that work?
chrisb
Veteran

Re: FreeCAD ROCKS!

Post by chrisb »

As far as usage is concerned all FreeCAD lines are infinite. You can well use tangency, point-on-line and perpendicular far outside the line segment.
FreeCAD rocks!
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
jpg87

Post by jpg87 »

abdullah wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:34 am In reality nothing is infinite. Some of you even proved that in FC the axes can have a very tiny dimension.
From my point of view, if we can have a construction line of "infinite" length, there is no longer any need to dimension its length : for an axis of revolution, for example, it suffices to position a center and the direction of the axis. I admit that I had this habit, even if the operation of FreeCAD does not disturb me absolutely!
My website : http://help-freecad-jpg87.fr updated 2023/11/06
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

jpg87 wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:24 am
abdullah wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:34 am In reality nothing is infinite. Some of you even proved that in FC the axes can have a very tiny dimension.
From my point of view, if we can have a construction line of "infinite" length, there is no longer any need to dimension its length : for an axis of revolution, for example, it suffices to position a center and the direction of the axis. I admit that I had this habit, even if the operation of FreeCAD does not disturb me absolutely!
Thanks for the explanation. It makes sense. I will add a ticket as a feature just to consider it when I have time for new features.

EDIT: issue #3660
abdullah
Veteran

Re: FreeCAD ROCKS!

Post by abdullah »

chrisb wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:38 am As far as usage is concerned all FreeCAD lines are infinite. You can well use tangency, point-on-line and perpendicular far outside the line segment.
FreeCAD rocks!
Sure FreeCAD rocks! However there is no reason why we cannot try to capitalise into something useful the time invested in reading this thread ;)
antoniovazquezblanco

Post by antoniovazquezblanco »

Although I understand that one may feel frustrated I believe that the way of expressing that frustration is not the desirable one. I also believe the same thing of heated replies, they don't achieve nothing.

Everybody here has an opinion about FC and it may be that the software sucks or rocks. I simply don't believe that FreeCad is a bad software but I also don't believe it offers a welcoming experience. I definitelly feel identified with this user in some sense and although many argue that a 3D modeling software cannot be made dummy proof, it can certainly benefit from a little bit of UX improvement at the moment.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Is there a way to archive these types of posts. IMHO, I think we've addressed this one quite completely.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

antoniovazquezblanco wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:15 am it can certainly benefit from a little bit of UX improvement at the moment.
Totally agree with that, the problem is that so far it has been very hard to see anybody formulate real, doable enhancements. I'd love to see another discussion start with ideas of practical steps that could be undertaken to better the whole user experience.
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Post by Jee-Bee »

abdullah wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 6:34 am ping
Here what i mean. firt figure simple sketch with infinite line. and the second same figure zoomed out so you can see it is a real long line.
Attachments
axis_1.PNG
axis_1.PNG (13.03 KiB) Viewed 2135 times
axis_2.PNG
axis_2.PNG (13.58 KiB) Viewed 2135 times