Naming of FreeCAD version 0.18

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Naming of FreeCAD version 0.18

Post by chrisb »

We can ask for a name at the same time:
- (No name)
- Leonardo
- Euler

(Rowing forward:) I am probably biased by thinking that everyone works everyday with FreeCAD and thus the mapping between a name and the version number is as clear as can be. (Rowing back:) However, I am always bugged when people talk about certain Ubuntu versions assuming that everyone knows their meaning. (And forward again:) It was never an issue in the past that people were talking about "Roland" assuming that people know that it means "0.17".
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

I somehow feel we have the FreeCAD 0.19 name covered. Being Leonardo or Leonardo da Vinci can be decided latter. As for naming FreeCAD. I feel that majority in this thread expressed it would be a good thing. To continue to name FreeCAD releases. Therefore i don't see any special need to take a vote on that.

As for FreeCAD 0.18 name. Things are still not all that clear. Using Euler or Bézier could work. But there isn't any special reason involved on why using such name. Therefore we should likely try harder. That is to find a reason on why using one or another name makes perfect (or at least good) sense for FreeCAD 0.18.
regis

Post by regis »

Kunda1 wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:07 am I say we start a poll at the beginning of this thread (mods?) and vote
Would you vote for or against FreeCAD 0.18 be released with a name?
1. For
2. Against
I would vote for 1.For

this post topic is quite funny and entertaining, lots of good ideas. Although my thoughts are not backed by any particular reason, i think it would be cool to have a name associated to each release, it helps make it easier to remember the release, for example linux mint uses a naming for each version released, that's how i'm familiar with this mode. But why not give a shot? We can have a bank list of names we store after vote and for every release we just pick a name from the bank and associate it with the release.
herbk
Veteran

Post by herbk »

Kunda1 wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:07 am I say we start a poll at the beginning of this thread (mods?) and vote
Would you vote for or against FreeCAD 0.18 be released with a name?
1. For
2. Against
Aigainst

With some reasons:
First: its still a nummber at background and after a short time you ( i ) have aways to think "leonardo, was it 16 or 17?" Also for a new User a Name don't suggest "is that a new or a olt version", a number dos.
Secound: See this thread: a lot of discusion about a name... wasted time in my eyes.
I saw this to much time at OpenSuse: A lot of time gets down to discus how the startscreen should look like, about naming (wich turns to a 4x.x after 13.2 and now back to 15.x :roll: ) only examples...
Third: Do we want to sell anything? No, if i remember right. So for what we need marketing? Some years ago i get's teached " a good product don't need advertising". - So better lets go to find a bug... ;)

Just my 6 cents.
Gruß Herbert
hammax
Veteran

Post by hammax »

… if you can't convince 'em - confuse 'em.
https://quoteinvestigator.com/2013/12/02/confuse-them/
A number is all you need for identifying. (only 2 Bytes (?) in my brain)
Look at Inkscape => they're opening 1.0

How about opening a 0.19-pre for the innovation seekers???
freecad-heini-1
Veteran

Post by freecad-heini-1 »

Please name it heini-1 or Wilfried ... :lol: 8-) :D
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I would prefer if you stay in the forum; alive.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Joel_graff
Veteran

Post by Joel_graff »

While I suspect the overall consensus is for naming each version, I'd still like to put in my vote for it.

Honestly, I would rather think of FreeCAD by version number than by name, even though I like the idea of names. I don't buy the idea that giving it a name makes it easier to distinguish between versions - frankly the mixture of references to Ubuntu versions by name and number just drives me crazy. But it's still worth the time in my view - it's a community decision that everyone can have a voice in and it reflects on what we're creating as a whole. We choose the name because it reflects on what FreeCAD means to us.

You can also look at it the way you look at the release videos.. or the logo redesign competition that recurs annually... Neither contribute to making FreeCAD itself better, but they help create community and they certainly help our project look good. ;)
FreeCAD Trails workbench for transportation engineering: https://www.github.com/joelgraff/freecad.trails

pivy_trackers 2D coin3D library: https://www.github.com/joelgraff/pivy_trackers
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

Just look at the recent history of FreeCAD for a model.

I would guess about once a month the name "Roland" comes up on the forum. The remainder of the time it is 0.17.xxxx.

Roland was a valuable key contributor to FreeCAD, yet his name simply did not really stick as an identifier. What do you suppose might happen with Newton, Einstein, Pascal, etc?

Gene
thschrader
Veteran

Post by thschrader »

GeneFC wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:36 pm What do you suppose might happen with Newton, Einstein, Pascal, etc?
Gene
High hanging fruits. Dont do that. We would promise to much...