Naming of FreeCAD version 0.18

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
vocx
Veteran

Re: Naming of FreeCAD version 0.18

Post by vocx »

triplus wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:55 pm Best to ask directly. Is there any (strong) opposition to tribute FreeCAD release to Leonardo da Vinci? Being 2019 is 500th Anniversary of his death.

P.S. If we can gather consensus. The only dilemma left i have is if FreeCAD 0.18 or FreeCAD 0.19 would be better suited? As i am leaning towards FreeCAD 0.19. And therefore we still don't have a name for FreeCAD 0.18! ;)
I'd rather give the "DaVinci" moniker to a really important version of FreeCAD, that is, to the eventual version 1.0, when it's reached maturity in every sense (workbenches, documentation, translations, python 3, etc.).

I understand the appeal to name something because of the 500 anniversary, but really, it's just a number. Why not name it "DaVinci" when it's the 506 anniversary? It's not a huge difference. So, these are my suggestions, FreeCAD 0.18 "Red panda", FreeCAD 0.19 "Salia", FreeCAD 0.20 "Salai", FreeCAD 0.21 "Salah?", FreeCAD 0.22 "Booboolooboo".
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
bill

Post by bill »

vocx wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:58 pmWell, I'm currently, ahem, between jobs, so I could dedicate all my time to documenting FreeCAD.
I just need money for myself; here are my estimates
Cant possibly see why you are between jobs and could use the money; since you are so skilled and easy to work with! :lol:
Oh, Excuse me VOX, I left a preposition hanging. :o

Could you translate the following babel; now you are sounding just foolish; at least try to be constructive.
vocx wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:58 pm I understand the appeal to name something because of the 500 anniversary, but really, it's just a number. Why not name it "DaVinci" when it's the 506 anniversary? It's not a huge difference. So, these are my suggestions, FreeCAD 0.18 "Red panda", FreeCAD 0.19 "Salia", FreeCAD 0.20 "Salai", FreeCAD 0.21 "Salah?", FreeCAD 0.22 "Booboolooboo".
Oh, On second thought,never mind, I saw the charm you spread on the WIKI translation thread/folks! Hardy, Ha, Ha!

Please keep your destructive disposition far away from this thread! Seriously; Please!
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

Now I feel offended, v0.18 has a lot of Sketcher improvements, it is a very important version of FreeCAD :lol:

In my opinion a name is important because it is part of the social aspects of FreeCAD. At the end, a community is not a workplace, so if we all are here it is not just to get the next version out, instead of spending our freetime in the local pub, we do (part of) it here. So I think we have to make a buzz of every single social aspect about our interaction.

We do not have confirmed death people among us. Though I miss several, hopefully they are well alive. Hopefully it will get looong until we have such a name in the pipeline. My proposal is first our people, then the others. We are lucky enough not to have one of our own this time, so we can move on with "the others".

Probably it will be nice to have a theme for this "the others". I would propose a rather generic "death creative people". This could comprise inventors, artists, architects, science people, and given that Alfred Nobel decided to put mathematicians aside, I would include them as well, as at the end much of what we use in FreeCAD is here because of them.

Leonardo would probably fit in all those example categories and even more. So for me it is a worthy candidate for any version.

Other names that we might consider in the future are "Bézier" after Pierre Bézier. Curie after Marie. Brahmagupta (one of the few individuals that can be named in connection to the introduction of number "Zero"), Algoritmi after Muhammad ibn Musa Al-Khwarizmi (Algebra), Newton, Raphson after Josef Raphson (approximation of roots of equations), Gauss after Carl Gauss, Mies after Van der Rohe (architect), Watt after James (engineer, steam engine)...
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I like Bézier!
Some more ideas: Euklid, Pythagoras, Euler (we use his angles), Zuse, Stroustrup (creator of C++, base of FreeeCAD), D.E.Knuth ...
We could go a slightly more subtle way, by using the prenames: from Leonardo or Leonhard (for da Vinci and Euler), to Bjarne or Donald.

If it shall not be Leonardo I vote for Bjarne.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

To me the main appeal to tribute/name FreeCAD 0.19 after Leonardo da Vinci is exactly because of the fact 2019 marks 500 anniversary. And if we would do it. In my opinion naming it just "Da Vinci" wouldn't feel appropriate. If it wouldn't be 500 anniversary. I would likely be rather indifferent (version vise).

Anyway enough from my side for now. If general consensus will be reached. Great. If not. That is that i guess. And still we would need a name for FreeCAD 0.18. If we would reach consensus on FreeCAD 0.19 and wouldn't reach it for FreeCAD 0.18. That would still work for me. To name FreeCAD 0.19 and not to name FreeCAD 0.18.
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

bill wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:43 am Could you translate the following babel;
What? Are you like 15 years old? What is the purpose of your comment?
Always add the important information to your posts if you need help. Also see Tutorials and Video tutorials.
To support the documentation effort, and code development, your donation is appreciated: liberapay.com/FreeCAD.
bill

Post by bill »

This_Thread:done
triplus
Veteran

Post by triplus »

OK we demonstrated on how such debates can easily get heated and on how easily that can hinder the path to getting general consensus. ;)

P.S. Now please return back to the topic. And note that nothing will get decided today. Therefore best to focus on constructive arguments.
looo
Veteran

Post by looo »

vocx wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:58 pm version 1.0, when it's reached maturity in every sense
I guess this will never happen. And I wouldn't vote to name FreeCAD 1.0 in the near future. But I like FreeCAD 0.19 DaVinci. And I also like FreeCAD 0.18 Bezier. :)
vocx
Veteran

Post by vocx »

looo wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:32 pm
vocx wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:58 pm version 1.0, when it's reached maturity in every sense
I guess this will never happen. And I wouldn't vote to name FreeCAD 1.0 in the near future. But I like FreeCAD 0.19 DaVinci. And I also like FreeCAD 0.18 Bezier. :)
Actually, I feel FreeCAD is pretty mature already! I feel it wasn't quite ready two years ago, but now it's much more feature complete. It's still lacking in documentation, and some workbenches, but I actually see transitioning to a major version in the not so distant future. Otherwise it'll be like Inkscape; that's a pretty good program, which I'd call stable, but the versioning still hasn't made it past 0.9 for some unknown reason.