Re: GSOC 2019 Thread (Wrapping up)

Contributions from the participants, questions and answers to their projects.
Discussions of proposals for upcoming events.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Jee-Bee
Veteran

Re: GSoC 2019

Post by Jee-Bee »

Can OCC also work with the GSoC? It would be great if in that region is some development too!!
kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

I think a packaging-based GSoC would be a good idea again, and I'm available for mentoring it.
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
sgrogan
Veteran

Post by sgrogan »

kkremitzki wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:15 pm I think a packaging-based GSoC would be a good idea again, and I'm available for mentoring it.
+1
This will always be a worthy and challenging project. Kurt kicked butt last summer and it just opened more possibilities. looo's work with conda as well.

@kkremitzki, what would be a reasonable scope for next years project?
"fight the good fight"
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

How about a python implementation of BCF format? BIM collaboration Format. We gone use BCF workflows quite active in our projects. Would be great to use this in FreeCAD for BIM-Modells. It is not a big blown format, so a badic implementation should be doable. I would help in mentoring such a project.

Bernd
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

kkremitzki
Veteran

Post by kkremitzki »

sgrogan wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:44 pm @kkremitzki, what would be a reasonable scope for next years project?
Besides "more of the same", i.e. working on the FreeCAD's ecosystem of dependencies and optional packages, one thing that would be nice is to backport bug fixes to the FreeCAD versions in the default repositories. For example, now that Ubuntu 18.04 is going to be supported for 10 years, this bug is going to be a long-term pain, and give bad impressions for anyone who doesn't know e.g. to get FreeCAD from the PPA: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1754084
Like my FreeCAD work? I'd appreciate any level of support via Patreon, Liberapay, or PayPal! Read more about what I do at my blog.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

BCF would be a good idea indeed... We could have a nice viewer for it with clickable issues that would pilot the FreeCAD camera, and ability to comment, alter or mark issues. This is mostly UI work, could give a nice GSOC project.
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

So we are a mentor org for 2019 ?
Where are we at in regards to proposals ?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
Joel_graff
Veteran

Post by Joel_graff »

The swept path analysis tool could use some development. It's somewhat niche, I'll admit, but microelly built the back end so most of the work at the moment is just creating the UI.

We had it in as a proposal last year. I'd be willing to help mentor...
FreeCAD Trails workbench for transportation engineering: https://www.github.com/joelgraff/freecad.trails

pivy_trackers 2D coin3D library: https://www.github.com/joelgraff/pivy_trackers
saso
Veteran

Post by saso »

yorik wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:50 pm BCF would be a good idea indeed...
+1

- I give my vote for BCF, and would also add proposal for

- research the possibilities to use Modelica with FreeCAD and do some basic implementation of it (probably with OpenModelica) https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=32556

- research the possibilities for VR workflows in FreeCAD (ex HTC Vive), and do some basic implementation of it (there was already some work done on this a while back and by now most CAD packages have support for it).