Re: GSOC 2019 Thread (Wrapping up)

Contributions from the participants, questions and answers to their projects.
Discussions of proposals for upcoming events.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
amrit3701

Re: GSoC 2019

Post by amrit3701 »

yorik wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:31 pm The project ideas we had for previous years are still valid I would say. Maybe we could add a couple of new ones, maybe something related to documentation?

I'll also add a BRL-CAD/FreeCAD integration idea...
Hi Yorik,

Happy new year to you and the whole FreeCAD family! :D

If any student wishes to work on rebar addon then I will be happy to mentor it. Last year I created a page "Extended functionality of Rebar Addon" (https://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/Extende ... ebar_Addon). In the coming days, I will also add @ebrahim idea (https://github.com/amrit3701/FreeCAD-Re ... t/issues/9).

Please count me the mentor list.

Thanks
Amritpal Singh
Github, Like my work, sponsor me!
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

Happy new year for you too!
Okay!
I believe the GSOC orgs will be announced soon, at the beginning of this year IIRC, so we'll have to setup our projects page then.
I'll do a general call for who wants to be a mentor by then, but I'm already counting everybody who showed interest in this thread.

FYI, for anyone else potentially interested in mentoring, it's not of uttermost importance to be good at coding, many people said so at the GSOC meeting last year. It's far more important to be ready to dedicate time and know FreeCAD and its community well enough to be able to direct the student to the right resources and people. So if the experience of mentoring interests you, and you would have a some hours per week to dedicate to this during June/July/August, and you know FreeCAD and how the community works, don't hesitate, no matter your coding skills. Also, you will be able to choose yourself which (if any) projects you want to mentor, nobody will force one upon you.
saso
Veteran

Post by saso »

Organizations Apply starts next week https://summerofcode.withgoogle.com/
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: GSOC 2019 Thread (DEADLINE: FEB 6th Mentor Organizations Applications Due)

Post by Kunda1 »

Heads up:
January 15 20:00 UTC Mentoring organizations can begin submitting applications to Google
February 6 20:00 UTC Mentoring organization application deadline
(link)
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
m42kus

Re: GSOC 2019

Post by m42kus »

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to say that I would very much like to apply as a student this year again. The proposed projects sound very interesting but I already had a different project at mind: Develop a test framework as well as tests for the FEM Workbench which could later be adopted partially or as a whole or serve as an inspiration for all of FreeCAD. I think that would really help the FEM Workbench as there are few tests right now but a lot of code. Also the topic software testing really interests me at the moment. I attended a course on university about it recently and was also confronted with testing a lot at work. I'd be very glad for the opportunity to test and advance my skills on a project with a much larger codebase and community than the projects on which I have worked in the past.

regards,
Markus
My GSoC Devlog: ceeli.github.io/gsoc
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

m42kus wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:03 pm Develop a test framework as well as tests for the FEM Workbench which could later be adopted partially or as a whole or serve as an inspiration for all of FreeCAD. I think that would really help the FEM Workbench as there are few tests right now but a lot of code. Also the topic software testing really interests me at the moment. I attended a course on university about it recently and was also confronted with testing a lot at work. I'd be very glad for the opportunity to test and advance my skills on a project with a much larger codebase and community than the projects on which I have worked in the past.
Is it different then what is proposed in GSoC FEM Unit Tests ?
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

Kunda1 wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:08 pm
m42kus wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:03 pm Develop a test framework as well as tests for the FEM Workbench which could later be adopted partially or as a whole or serve as an inspiration for all of FreeCAD. I think that would really help the FEM Workbench as there are few tests right now but a lot of code. Also the topic software testing really interests me at the moment. I attended a course on university about it recently and was also confronted with testing a lot at work. I'd be very glad for the opportunity to test and advance my skills on a project with a much larger codebase and community than the projects on which I have worked in the past.
no not really, the wiki page is just a bit outdated.

Great to see you again applying for GSoC markus.

cheers bernd
Joel_graff
Veteran

Post by Joel_graff »

yorik wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:38 pm FYI, for anyone else potentially interested in mentoring, it's not of uttermost importance to be good at coding, many people said so at the GSOC meeting last year. ...
[/code]

I'm up to mentor, if there's still a need. I don't know that I really care about the project. Most of my exposure is with the Python API, Sketcher, and the core workbenches, but I'm open to new territory - always fun figuring things out. :)
FreeCAD Trails workbench for transportation engineering: https://www.github.com/joelgraff/freecad.trails

pivy_trackers 2D coin3D library: https://www.github.com/joelgraff/pivy_trackers
m42kus

Post by m42kus »

Kunda1 wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:08 pm
A little. What I want to do definitely includes the everything proposed in GSoC FEM Unit Tests. In addition I'd like to improve the way of testing in FreeCAD in general a little. I'm going to explain this in detail in my proposal before the application period begins.
My GSoC Devlog: ceeli.github.io/gsoc
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: GSOC 2019 Thread (DEADLINE: FEB 6th Mentor Organizations Applications Due)

Post by Kunda1 »

Heads-up: DEADLINE IS TODAY
Doesn't look like BRL-CAD has a 2019 https://brlcad.org/wiki/Google_Summer_of_Code
Is FC going to participate ?