Feature of history

Have some feature requests, feedback, cool stuff to share, or want to know where FreeCAD is going? This is the place.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jakob

Feature of history

Post by jakob »

If you use Fusion 360, Solidworks you have a history from your work.
Great feature if you want to go back and edit or want to do a tutorials and show your work.

It was some time I did something in FreeCAD and before I hade to to everything from the beginning every time.
Is this still true?

I have used Fusion 360 for a long time but it seems to be paid in the future, so I plan to go back to FreeCAD.
But the lack of history is bad. A proper history would be very helpful for my tutorials for bigger projekt.
polymer

Re: Feature of history

Post by polymer »

FreeCAD Is abparametric System but the Catia-like feature tree is not the greatest one...
mario52
Veteran

Post by mario52 »

hi

see Preferences > General > Macro

but I did not find the .FCScript file ?

mario
Maybe you need a special feature, go into Macros_recipes and Code_snippets, Topological_data_scripting.
My macros on Gist.github here complete macros Wiki and forum.
jakob

Post by jakob »

polymer wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:41 pm FreeCAD Is abparametric System but the Catia-like feature tree is not the greatest one...
What do you mean?
jakob

Post by jakob »

mario52 wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:34 pm hi

see Preferences > General > Macro

but I did not find the .FCScript file ?

mario
Have you understand the question?
mario52
Veteran

Post by mario52 »

hi

the code saved in console Python is the history of the project

mario
Maybe you need a special feature, go into Macros_recipes and Code_snippets, Topological_data_scripting.
freecad-heini-1
Veteran

Post by freecad-heini-1 »

mario52 wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:33 pm hi

the code saved in console Python is the history of the project

mario
Hi Mario,
I'm not 100% sure what Jakob mean. I guess it's a bit similar to a existing tool from Creo.
It's a kind of keyframe tool from every single feature in seqeunce, at the end you can play it like a movie, step by step. It's nice for demo or training purposes.

The macro you mentioned seems to save this history, but how to play?
Please could you explain a bit more the workflow for this task?

Thank you very much and best regards
Wilfried
saso
Veteran

Post by saso »

This is basically what is in catia called ordered and unordered sets. In FreeCAD the new PartDesign is basically working like this (in an ordered way) and its Tip is basically what this topic is about. I don't agree that FreeCAD should change to work only in a fully ordered way, but I do agree that this is a topic that we should talk about more since it is very important topic for proper Part, Body workflows and there are for sure things that needs to be fixed and improved. Following videos show how a single linear (ordered) history tree can be limiting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmLGQxgcSC8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iN-mrE1ab3U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8k7roFZ4BfY
Last edited by saso on Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
mario52
Veteran

Post by mario52 »

Hi

open the python console create your project
click right on python console and > Save history as
(or record macro with Image)

and your total project is saved as macro xxx.FCMacro and execute (reproduce) your project as a normal macro
(not video or didactic)

History00.png
History00.png (48.74 KiB) Viewed 1942 times

mario
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

jakob wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:42 pm If you use Fusion 360, Solidworks you have a history from your work.
And FreeCAD does too, so I don't understand what's your problem. Please be more explicit.

polymer wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:41 pm but the Catia-like feature tree is not the greatest one...
How is FreeCAD's tree Catia-like exactly? I've never used Catia, I'm a long time Solid Edge user at work, and the FreeCAD Model tree when working in PartDesign work flow is very similar to Solid Edge (specifically what is now called "ordained" or "traditional", we don't have a version with Synchronous Technology). But I do know that Jürgen Riegel, the founder of the FreeCAD project, was a big fan of Catia, and it reflects on many things in FreeCAD.